rv8bldr

Well Known Member
... the 60 mph winds we had yesterday in the Ottawa area did some damage. Lots of trees down, power out to thousands of homes, and the roofing companies are going to do well.

Unfortunately, my hangar didn't fair too well either. The plane is not totaled by any stretch of the imagination, but it IS aggravating since I just finished my annual last Friday. ARGH!!!!!

When this picture was taken (this morning) there was no wind. The door is STUCK in this position. The truck was put there by airport personnel and tied to the door to prevent further damage DURING the wind storm.

door.jpg

The squigly line is a deep scratch on my Catto prop. I'm not sure I will try and have Craig fix that or get a new one. The scratch itself is right into the wood.

prop.jpg

This is the SECOND spinner I've had damaged. Another wind storm several years ago broke a door support and the door came in and whacked the end of the spinner. (Hmmm.... I'm beginning to see a pattern here...)

spinner.jpg

The right aileron is done.

bentaileron1.jpg

bentaileron2.jpg

And the right elevator is toast.

bentelevator.jpg6

All in all it could have been WAY worse, so I'm not complaining. Just venting :eek:

The folks at Sun 'n Fun are the ones who have it bad.

/vent off

Cheers

Last edited:
Mark,

Sorry to hear about your plane but, as you say, at least it is repairable.

cheers,
greg

Last edited:
It looks like you need a center pin or lock to keep the bottom middle of the door where it belongs. My door as a double flapper arrangement that works pretty well and is automatic when the door closes.

So sorry to hear this news, Mark. While the EAA chapter hangar where you did your annual inspection was undamaged, save for a few lost shingles, the roof on the row hangar didn't fare as well. Temporary repairs were completed last night. No damage to airplanes, no damage to humans.

So sorry to see URV damaged. When I saw you fly over the house on Good Friday morning I was thinking she was sounding sweet and going like a scalded cat. Your frustration is fully understood and sympathized with here.

Ouch!

Mark,

Sorry to hear about your bent bird. On the plus side, it'll give you a chance to practice your RV-building skills again.

Rob

So sorry to hear this news, Mark. While the EAA chapter hangar where you did your annual inspection was undamaged, save for a few lost shingles, the roof on the row hangar didn't fare as well. Temporary repairs were completed last night. No damage to airplanes, no damage to humans.

So sorry to see URV damaged. When I saw you fly over the house on Good Friday morning I was thinking she was sounding sweet and going like a scalded cat. Your frustration is fully understood and sympathized with here.

Thanks, Mark

I'll have to head down to the EAA end and take a peek at the row hangar. I'm glad the club house survived.

Mark,

Sorry to hear about your bent bird. On the plus side, it'll give you a chance to practice your RV-building skills again.

Rob

Hey Rob

Yes, I suppose that is one way to look at it :eek: I guess it will be a good warm up for when I start building the Bearhawk later this year.

winds suck....and blow?

Mark,
Can't tell you how that hurts to see. Here I thought a hangar was the cat's pajamas, and all you guys were invincible year round. hmmmm.

when all the dust settles we'd really like to hear how the insurance thing goes. Sounds like you are fixing, but that's a pretty grey area on some policies. ( they buy materials....whooooppee!?)

Sounds like doors are a real weak link in many hangar shells, whether rolling or raised, you never see one that looks very skookum.
If you do try a pin or some retaining system, I imagine to resist 60 mph you need a MAJOR anchor, not just a rod thru a hole in the concrete. ( my old engineering is pretty fuzzy, but ~9.216 psf over that door area is a buncha pressure! ( techhies please advise! ... I think it's something like 3300 lbs.!!! multiple pin points obviously helps.)

good luck, hope you are flying soon!

Mark,
Can't tell you how that hurts to see. Here I thought a hangar was the cat's pajamas, and all you guys were invincible year round. hmmmm.

when all the dust settles we'd really like to hear how the insurance thing goes. Sounds like you are fixing, but that's a pretty grey area on some policies. ( they buy materials....whooooppee!?)

Sounds like doors are a real weak link in many hangar shells, whether rolling or raised, you never see one that looks very skookum.
If you do try a pin or some retaining system, I imagine to resist 60 mph you need a MAJOR anchor, not just a rod thru a hole in the concrete. ( my old engineering is pretty fuzzy, but ~9.216 psf over that door area is a buncha pressure! ( techhies please advise! ... I think it's something like 3300 lbs.!!! multiple pin points obviously helps.)

good luck, hope you are flying soon!

Hey Perry

There was a 3/4" steel pin into the ground holding the door. You can see how it withstood the wind pressure....

pin.jpg

what can a guy do?

Well, that pin would've fooled anyone! Most you see are only big enough to keep the honest folk from opening your door with their finger.
I'm sure if you go crazy beffing up the pins, you are just transferring the load to the next weakest link, so the door skins or bracing will fail....all of which havae a similar outcome...bad!

let's hope this is an anomaly, and that you are covered for the loss.

Movin' the plane to the farm anytime soon? :)

Me too

Sorry to hear about your hangar and plane damage Mark.

I saw it as I was on my way to temporarily close my damaged doors on my hangar. I just can't seem to get a break from the wind these days. At least the door did not cause any damage to our plane ..... cause it was at a nearby airport being repaired for the tornado damage sustained at Sun n Fun! I could use a cool Hogsback tonight.

I believe in the Ying and Yang balanced forces... so I am off to buy some lottery tickets.

Ouch!

Mark,

Rob

Ouch. That really sucks. But, as you say, it could have been a lot worse. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I'm sure the whole Ottawa RV community will be happy to lend a hand in any way you need.

I was in the hangar in Smiths Falls working on my RV-8 when the cold front went through. It was quite impressive - very strong winds and torrential rain. But, I don't think anything got damaged, so I think the peak gusts were lower on that part of the front.

I'm definitely going to push the RV-8 farther back from the door from now on. An aircraft three hangars east of me got damaged in its hangar this winter when the door got hit by a Cherokee that rang away when the pilot turned the prop by hand and the engine started. The door damage didn't look too bad, but it moved it far enough to hit the nose of the aircraft at the front of the hangar hard enough to necessitate an engine tear down, if I can believe the rumour mill.

Well, that pin would've fooled anyone! Most you see are only big enough to keep the honest folk from opening your door with their finger.
I'm sure if you go crazy beffing up the pins, you are just transferring the load to the next weakest link, so the door skins or bracing will fail....all of which havae a similar outcome...bad!

let's hope this is an anomaly, and that you are covered for the loss.

Movin' the plane to the farm anytime soon? :)

Nope, the RV won't be moving to the farm. I'm starting a Bearhawk that I'll keep out there (as soon as I run out of other things to fix/finish, of course ;-)

Sorry to hear about your hangar and plane damage Mark.

I saw it as I was on my way to temporarily close my damaged doors on my hangar. I just can't seem to get a break from the wind these days. At least the door did not cause any damage to our plane ..... cause it was at a nearby airport being repaired for the tornado damage sustained at Sun n Fun! I could use a cool Hogsback tonight.

I believe in the Ying and Yang balanced forces... so I am off to buy some lottery tickets.

Hey Alfio

Ray told me about your hangar. Ouch ! I hope those lottery tickets pan out, though ;-)