David-aviator

Well Known Member
On a drive home from Springfield, MO today in a torrential rain storm with very high wind, we got a cell phone call from a neighbor. Our air park home had been damaged by a mini tornado earlier and did we have a hidden key, they wanted to check for interior water damage after covering some roof holes and what remains of the chimney with blue plastic tarp. We were about 30 minutes out when the call came and by the time we arrived, they had surveyed the interior and could find no damage...whew....we did not want to spend the night in a motel. The damage is not too great. The chimney is missing its top and some shingles were all over the yard plus some of the siding trim is damaged and hanging loose. It could have been much worse. We certainly have great neighbors.

The weather in 2008 has been wild to say the least....record rain fall and more today....a week ago it was 5F and today it hit 69F. Tomorrow it will be cold again. We will be lucky to not be stranded with local river flooding again as has been the case twice already this year. The Cuivre River, its basin drains much of north central Missouri, rises as much as 20 feet over night and then goes down again just as fast.

The hangar and airplane are fine. Only damage to it are one broken and one bent wind indicator on top of each cupola. Had the airplane been outside, it would be in the next county for sure. :)

Bad Storm in STL

Dave,

Glad everything is OK. Anybody else up there at Troy get any damage?

I rode the storm out in the hanger yesterday. Water at 1H0 was covering all the taxiways and rushing pass the hanger like the Mississippi River. Flash floods everywhere but no wind damage here.

Last edited:
I saw an overturned plane somewhere in that geographic area on the news this morning. That and flooding are not fun to go through.

David,

I drove through that line on my way to KC for my grandparents 70th wedding anniversary. We had to take an exit as staying in my lane was impossible. Glad your house is ok.

Dave,

Glad everything is OK. Anybody else up there at Troy get any damage?

I rode the storm out in the hanger yesterday. Water at 1H0 was covering all the taxiways and rushing pass the hanger like the Mississippi River. Flash floods everywhere but no wind damage here.

One other home had some shingles removed, otherwise just a few trees down.

According the weather people it was an F1 tornado and it touched down about a mile east of here where a home was destroyed. Quite a bit of local damage in the area similar to what happened here, the insurance adjuster is very busy and won't show up until next week sometime. Meanwhile he said to have your contractor put an estimate together which we are doing.

Whew David, you scared me. Glad no serious damage occurred and that everyone is okay.

Best,
Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,

The engine is running but still grounded over an issue concerning an oil temperature indication - like it does not work. Should have that cleared up as soon as Grand Rapids comes back to work on Monday.

Local guys are saying it sure sounds strong with the Vetterman 4 pipe system :)

David,

Good to hear the damage was limited. I hope you get it fixed soon and the new year is more sedate.