RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I know I must be missing something in the setup up but I never get needles on my RMI in the HSI display. My set up is D180, HS34, AP74 and Garmin 430W and Garmin 496.

I can get a course and use each nave mode with the NAV Source button but I never get the needles on the RMI which I thought I should get if say using GPS1 with a VOR tuned. Also, when using Nav 1 and tracking a VOR I do not get the Freq, or identifier on the HSI. I am thinking it must be some setup I need to do on the G430W but I can't find the answer. I wired the panel long ago and now that I am flying I am coming up with these questions.

Thanks for the help,
Cheers

You use the BRG SRC button on the HS34 to turn on/off the bearing (RMI) needles you want. They don't automatically appear.

You will never get the ident with a 430. It doesn't decode it. Only the 530 or the SL-30 do that.

I'm actually at a loss how you could have a working VOR display without frequency. There's no config in the 430 for that. Are you sure the VOR is working properly? When you spin the OBS you get a HSI that rotates and a CDI needle that changes like it should?

Good VOR

I can select NAV 1 and get good LOC or VOR and I can set the course and track it.

Nothing happens when I hit the BRG Sourse button.

When you hit BRG SRC, the first bearing source should highlight on the screen and then you turn the value knob to select the one you want.

Nothing highlights

When you hit BRG SRC, the first bearing source should highlight on the screen and then you turn the value knob to select the one you want.

From what I can tell I don't get anything to highlight. Just so I understand if I have the Nav source say on GPS1 which is my Garmin 430W and I have the VOR tuned and identified, should I not see a needle on the RMI pointing to the tuned VOR, if so I am not getting this. All I get is an operable CDI for the Nav Source selected but no bearing pointers on the RMI. I think the Dynon side of things is set up but I wonder if I have something not configured correctly on the 430W.

Cheers