humptybump

Well Known Member
The g3xpert made an announcement regarding the G3X so those of us with Aera 5XX, 795/796, or 795/696 units may have missed this update.

yes, I confess, I don't read every post here on VAF

External GPS Support for GDL 39 ADS-B Traffic/Weather Receiver

The GDL 39/39R has a built-in GPS receiver and antenna used internally and to provide position data to external devices connected over the Bluetooth link. If you remote mount the GDL 39, you previously needed to install a remote GPS antenna to support that receiver. Well no more, because the software changes in this release allow GDL 39 to receive GPS data from a connected Aera 5XX, Aera 79X, or GPSMAP 69X portable GPS.​

The version of this update is v2.8

how to update without G3X?

I believe the GDL39 will also act as a relay over bluetooth to pass the GPS data from the 796 to a wifi iPad. What I do not know is if the new 3.50 release of the 796 software will update the GDL39 to the latest version as it does not mention it in the notes?

I believe the GDL39 will also act as a relay over bluetooth to pass the GPS data from the 796 to a wifi iPad. What I do not know is if the new 3.50 release of the 796 software will update the GDL39 to the latest version as it does not mention it in the notes?

Hello Dave,

Yes, the new software will indeed allow both the GDL 39 and any Bluetooth connected tablet to use the 796 supplied GPS data.

Yes, the V3.50 software update for the Aera 79X should include GDL 39 V2.80 software and it should automatically update the GDL 39.

You can go to the Datalink Information page on the 796 to see it uploading the new software to the GDL 39.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, the irony was - when you mentioned the possibility of sharing the GPS signal several months back - I had hoped / expected it to go the other way.

My 795 is mounted using the Airgizmo dock and its dock connection provides everything but the GPS. The dock makes using an external GPS antenna on the 795 a bit of a pain. Since the GDL39 is remote mounted and it needed a GPS, I was hoping the data from the GDL39 could feed GPS to the 795.

Oh well. It all works.