jdmunzell

Well Known Member
Greetings all,

I'm looking at purchasing a no hole yoke from Avery Tools right now that they are on sale. My question is this: which one is better overall for use...the 4" no hole yoke or the the shorter 21/2" one? And why?

My first inclination is to go with the deeper one, but I don't know if the extra size is too much weight to work with or if it would hamper tight spaces. So far my experience with borrowing my hangarmate's yoke is that the places I've used this thing are on the outside of tight spaces close to the edge of the material (flaps, elevators, etc..).

Greetings all,

I'm looking at purchasing a no hole yoke from Avery Tools right now that they are on sale. My question is this: which one is better overall for use...the 4" no hole yoke or the the shorter 21/2" one? And why?QUOTE]

Get the 4 inch yoke, you wont need it that often. And when you do, you cant make the shorter one longer!

That certainly seems logical to me as well. Have you guys actually needed the 4" er vs. to the shorter one on the RVs?

There are many places to use a 4" no hole on a RV.

Think about using the 4" reach as well as getting into tight places. You are getting two tools for the price of one.

I only had one place on my RV-10 in which I needed a smaller no hole yoke. I borrowed one from a friend.

bob

I used the 4" no-hole extensively. The weight never bothered me. I just drink an extra dose of protein after a long riveting session :) I also have the longeron yoke, which gets used a lot.

There are a few spots where the 4" just won't fit. If your budget allows both, the shorter yoke might come in handy, but not nearly as often as the 4" yoke. Sometimes you just have to buck a rivet even though a squeezer ought to be able to reach it. For these occasions, an extra regulator and hose is probably more useful than the 2.5" no-hole.

depth of yoke

can matter - a yoke with a great depth will flex when setting larger rivets. For example, I have a 6" Tatco yoke that really is no use for 1/8" rivets, as the flex causes the rivet to clinch when setting. It is fine for 3/32 rivets, or for dimpling.
For a no-hole yoke, the difference betwen the two yoke is not such that I would worry, particularly since these yokes are mostly used for trailing edges of flyng surfaces that use 3/32" rivets.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa Canada
RV-6A finishing kit

A 6 inch yoke is pretty big! The one I'm looking at is a 4 inch one made by Avery. I don't know what the quality is like on the Tatco yokes, but I know the ones from Avery are pretty high quality, thus just a few more bucks also.

I would think there would be a fairly big difference between the 6 inch and 4 inch yokes.