sbalmos

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm open to suggestions, before emailing Vans, about what to do about this. The outermost seatbelt anchors' nuts do not have clearance, and are butting against the flanges of the F-705D bulkhead side channels. I was able to get the washers underneath the flanges while inserting the bolts. But the nuts themselves don't have any space to be tightened on - one of the hex flat sides is right up against the flange.

IMG_20140514_214235_zps3jcispol.jpg

Vladster, the washer has clearance. The nut's the problem. Looks like the ms21042 will work fine. Thanks Paul!

Something is Wrong Here

I'm not looking at plans or my plane right now, but IIRC, both inside and outside anchors are attached to brackets affixed to a carry-thru aft "spar". The bolt and nut go thru the bracket ant the belt flange rotates about the bolt in shear. Check your plans again-there was no clearance issue here on my build.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

On my 7, these nuts are very close to the vertical structure just as you show in the image. Even if mine were like yours (which they may have been), I would not have given it a second thought. Hold the nut, tighten the bolt and move on.

Okay, chalk it up to working on the plane at 10pm, not thinking to rotate the *other* part, the bolt. :rolleyes: I'll probably swap out the MS nut tonight. No biggie.

Terry, I'm not referring to the bolt and nut that attaches the belt flange to the anchor. I'm referring to the bolt and nut that attach the anchor to the bottom spar of the seatback brace bulkhead and the two doubler brackets. "Borrowing" from Smitty's site, http://www.smittysrv.com/detailssub.asp?id=1404, I'm referring to the outermost anchors closest to the vertical bulkhead members.