David-aviator

Well Known Member
In patrolling the Missouri River west of St. Louis out beyond Herman, no enemy activity was observed. Nor was there any surface activity by pirates. All appears to be calm but we can not rest because we are facing a determined and sneaky enemy. The patrols will continue.

Phase one flight testing continues and things are settling down to a routine. The Lycoming is a bit grumpy and growls after start but once the throttle is open and the RV is flying it becomes a smooth purring pussy cat. The engine now idles fine at about 680 after AFP checked things over, but when up above 1000 rpm, it barks and protests and seems a bit unsettled but push it up to 1800 for a mag check, it has found itself and runs fine. I don't know what that is 'bout but it could just be being new and tight.

I've started to lean the engine aggressively as I do believe the rings are seated. In 8 hours, it has used just a half quart of oil and the oil remains very clean. The book says the rings are seated when oil consumption stabilizes, whatever that means.

Cooling is a non issue. Max CHT so far is 390. Max OT so far is 180 with the oil cooler shutter closed, with it open it runs like 160-170. The double pass SW 8432R oil cooler really works. It is firewall mounted facing down and gets its air through a 4" scat tube from the #4 cylinder aft baffle.

I have 2 shark like vents on each side of the lower cowl, an idea I stole from a friend's Bonanza where the vent is used to augment air flow through an oil cooler. I've been thinking about closing them out in an effort to return the cowl to its original appearance before the Subby adventure. So yesterday I duct taped the vents shut to see what the effect would be on cooling and airspeed. In flight I couldn't tell anything different. After landing the reason was apparent, the internal lower cowl pressure had blown the tape off the exit fin areas. There's a lot more air going out through those vents than I imagined and it probably is augmenting airflow down through cylinders. I think next time I will tape them shut from the inside and see what happens.

It took since last June to make this engine change and it is a good feeling to have an airplane to fire up and go fly again. The Lycoming may be ancient technology but it sure gets the job done. :)

I have been seeing some suspicious activity around KUNO, may need some checking out if your test area is down this way.

There has been a suspicious looking L-29 in the vicinity

No Al-Qaida Subs Observed....

This PROVES they have found a way to stay submerged longer. Tricky devils...

Bob Kelly

In patrolling the Missouri River west of St. Louis out beyond Herman, no enemy activity was observed. Nor was there any surface activity by pirates. All appears to be calm but we can not rest because we are facing a determined and sneaky enemy. The patrols will continue.

I spent 1.3 hours patroling the Mississippi and Illionis Rivers up stream of the Missouri River. I report no pirate activity. Beautiful flying weather last night with smooth air to fly the rivers at 1000 ft agl. Here in STL it takes the full Vans Air Force to patrol the rivers. I have volunteered to patrol the rivers 3-4 times per week. It is great work if you can get it.

Patrolling the Mizzou

My old friend Dennis let me fly his LYNX several years ago over in North Omaha, what a blast buzzing Subs er...jet skiers or whatever
:D

I plan on doing my part also. Great Salt Lake today and Bear Lake on Thursday. The Great Salt Lake is low, so it should be easier to spot them this week......

I plan on doing my part also. Great Salt Lake today and Bear Lake on Thursday. The Great Salt Lake is low, so it should be easier to spot them this week......

Three more RV's will also be patrolling the Great Salt Lake this morning (Sun.) A brunch run to Jackpot, Nevada.

L.Adamson --- RV6A