andyrv

Well Known Member
I need a small nitrogen tank at the cabin for some AC work. Can't get a tank local as it is a very rural area. My choices are to buy one in Dallas and either fly it up there already filled in the RV or empty the tank (leave valve open) and do an exchange when I get there (they have exchange available but no loaners or tanks for sale).

Anyone have experience with transporting Nitrogen? Seems that it would be as safe or safer than our Oxygen tanks but my thought is to transport an empty tank and do the exchange up there (more money, more hassle).

Thanks,
Andy

I don't have experience transporting it, and I can't speak to the regulations right now, but from an engineering/safety standpoint, i can't see much of a problem.

Per Praxair's web site, the smaller nitrogen cylinders are typcially pressurized to 2200 psig. The maximum altitude pressure difference you could see would be 14.7 psig (aassuming your RV is capable of low earth orbit) which is probably well within the safety margins for most cylinders rated at such high pressures.

Nitrogen is pretty much completely chemically inert at normal ambient temperatures so it doesn't pose much of a threat that way.

Nitrogen.....doesn't pose much of a threat....

Almost.

Since the air is about 79% nitrogen, our bodies are used to it. But if somehow it displaced the air around you (certainly unlikely) you wouldn't notice that and you'd pass out and die.

It killed a couple workers in a local Aerospace plant some time back. The first one went into a a nitrogen-filled chamber, passed out, and the second didn't realize the hazard and went in to get the first.

Easy enough to guard against, just something to be aware of.

Dave

With the good air exchange inside an RV cabin, I wouldn't expect much of a problem even if the valve somehow opened. Safety wire it shut if it worries you.

N2 doesn't hurt you- the lack of O2 does (if the N2 displaces all of the O2), so fly with the vents open as an extra precaution.

Almost.

Since the air is about 79% nitrogen, our bodies are used to it. But if somehow it displaced the air around you (certainly unlikely) you wouldn't notice that and you'd pass out and die.

It killed a couple workers in a local Aerospace plant some time back. The first one went into a a nitrogen-filled chamber, passed out, and the second didn't realize the hazard and went in to get the first.

Easy enough to guard against, just something to be aware of.

Dave

I think if an N2 tank vented quickly enough to reduce the partial pressure of oxygen in the atmosphere inside an airborne unpressurized aircraf enough to cause loss of consciousness, that one would have more pressing issues and would notice it.

Sounds like a plan

Thanks for the info! Forecast is 100 here in Dallas and 90 at the lake so the vents will definitely be wide open and also the reason we need more AC at the lake.

Andy