GKnut

Please forgive my ignorance for I have submitted myself to things I know not of! While it is obvious you need tools (which I ordered) and that you need to order the kit (-7 empennage ordered), I am guessing I have other things to get, yes?
I'm guessing rivits, primer, etc. Looking at the plans, I'm not sure what comes with and what does not. Are my eyes glazed over and I'm not seeing it?

Welcome to VAF!

First...deep breath... :)

All rivets and hardware will be included in your empennage kit

Your tool kit should have everything you need to get started...you will probably add to your tool collection as you go however, I know I did. Although its not really necessary...just fun to buy tools.

Primer...will not be included in your kit and you will need to buy this seperately. I did prime, but its certainly not "needed", plenty of RV's out there without any primer.

Good luck

"You should never fail to start a project because you don't know how to do some aspect of the work. Start anyway. That forces you to learn." Cory Bird, designer and builder of Oshkosh Grand Champion Symmetry

Chapter 5 of the build manual contains a wealth of information. A friend I was helping get started on his RV got sick of me telling him, "you can find it in Chapter 5", but he did admit almost all of his questions were answered there. Lots of other good sources of information like other builders, EAA and this site but I'd recommend starting with the instructions from Vans.

Rivets come with the kit. As far as primer, go to this forum, set the Display Options to "From the Beginning", spend a few days reading, then make up your own mind.:D

While you're waiting on your kit and tools, go to Van's links page, scroll down to "RV-7/7A" and look at a few builder logs. I reference Jason Beaver's,, Mike Bullock's, and Jim Piavis' on a regular basis. There are many others. You'll learn a lot of tips, tricks, and gotchas so you'll be better prepared when you get there yourself.;)

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Glen, as was said above, welcome to VAF:D

Tools are something you can never have enough of, IMHO;)

One of the starter kits sold by Avery, Cleveland, or others should get you in the ballpark for much of your needs to start. Look at the advertisers here for decent products at a good price.

One thing I would stress if buying a good air compressor. Get the biggest and most powerful you can afford, you will be much happier in the long run.

An 80 gallon, two stage with an oiled crankcase. 220 volt, 5 hp or so is a great compressor for building a RV.

Also something to consider is lighting for your shop. More is better for the most part.

And good work benches too.

Look for a local EAA chapter, if you are not already in one. Look at the RV white pages on the main page of the forum, maybe you have a neighbor already building that you could get together with for some direct exposure.

Enjoy, it is going to be quite a ride.

Good Stuff

Like I though, my eyes are blurred by the amount in front of them. :rolleyes:

I'm based in Virginia Beach and no, no salt-water proof pontoons destined for my RV-7, despite my wife's desires!

Welcome to an interesting and all consuming past time - building an airplane. Trust me you'll find it rewarding, frustrating, expensive (unless you're independently wealthy), and perplexing. Often all in the same day. It's good to have another Virginian on board.

The reference you got to Chapter 5 is truer than I care to admit.

Things not in kit.

You will need primer if you so desire, and ProSeal... and bandaids. Tool kit and empenage kit should be all you need for the tail.