ezetom

Hi Folks,

My alternator went bad, and I bought a new one,, but Im wondering if I need to use the "fan" that is on the alternator itself?

Anyone try to omit it? I have just a VFR aircraft so I have a difficult time believing I need it.

-Tom

alternator

I just picked up a 14284 yesterday (1987 Suzuki Samari), the fans are internal on this unit and all the other Vans examples I have seen.

I just picked up a 14284 yesterday (1987 Suzuki Samari), the fans are internal on this unit and all the other Vans examples I have seen.

Bill,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that your Samurai alternator is an internally regulated unit with [as you mentioned] twin internal fans. Tom is using an older, externally regulated unit. These had only a single external fan.
Tom, my fear about removing the fan, would be that you could overheat the rectifier diodes prior to becoming airborne. I'm not sure you could rely on the prop providing sufficient air to the alternator at idle and/or taxi speeds. The load on the alternator will be rather high, right after starting the engine. High load means lots of heat into those diodes.
Charlie

I installed and auto alternator internaly regulated and did remove the external fan. The blast tube is pointing to where the fan was and over 300 hrs with no problems. You milage may vary!