Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I just finished writing my annual Christmas Letter (the 14 pager that everyone groans about) and the first person I sent a copy to was a fellow named John Bosch. He is the fellow that has made the AirVenture Cup start at Dayton a reality for the past few years. He owns and operates the Commander Aero FBO at Wright Brothers Airport. Here is what I wrote in my letter:

... There may not have been a race at all if it had not been for John Bosch who owns and operates the Commander Aero Fixed Base Operation (FBO) that hosted the start of the race. He is 76 years old, which is about 6 years older than me, and he sets a fine example for all of us younger folks. He and I talked a quite a bit before the race. He was President of Sheffield, which manufactured the Cordax three-dimensional measuring machine. In the 1960s I was an Inspection Foreman for the McDonnell Douglas Electronics Company and I ran Receiving Inspection for the latter part of that decade. One discipline involved in our Receiving Inspection was Machine Parts Inspection. You guessed it, the most sophisticated system we had was a Sheffield Cordax. Mr. Bosch not only opens his FBO to the race management, staff and race crews but he arranged for a private viewing of the U.S. Air Force Museum, the Aviation Hall of Fame and a dinner before the main race briefing. We owe him and the Commander Aero team a lot...​

I called the phone number in the Flight Guide and asked the receptionist for the address. It is:

Commander Aero
10570 Springboro Pike
Miamisburg, Ohio, 45342​

I tend to get in a "goodwill to all" mood at this time of year but I think it is a good idea to include some of those folks that made my year special, on my list. That list is heavily influenced by my aviation interests.

Bob Axsom