eatenbyagrue

Hi All,

I've been looking for some nice rocker switches for my panel. Curious if anyone has used Carling Tech Contura switches? Info is here http://rocker-switches.carlingtech.com/sealed-rocker-switch__19.asp

I found a site I can pick them up at for a good price here http://order.waytekwire.com/scategory2/M50/260/200/Carling Contura Rocker Switch/Switches/

They look like a good option.. a bit nicer than straight toggles. A bit like what's in the RV12 panel. Love to hear if anyone has use them before...

Thanks
Josh

Nice

But its a LOT more work making square holes than it is making round ones..Unless you intend to have your panel water jetted of course.

Frank

That the switches we have in our RV-10. We used the six pack panel dock, if that is what they can be called. It's a plastic frame and you snap six rocker switches in to it. Only one hole required for six switches. We have to of these, for a total of 12 switches.
We purchased them from Geoff at Aerosport, the maker of the Carbon panel and many other things. We are happy with them and are awaiting for a couple double throw/double pole to replace the standard ones we have used temporarly.
Ron

Just checked out the site shown above and I thought they had exactly what I needed, but there DPDT switch is on-off-on. What we need, might not be called a DPDT . We want the function as above switch, but without the off center position. Anyone know what switch we are looking for?
Thanks Ron

Panels

One option I've been considering is using these guys for label plates http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

I could probably use their CAD software to specify square holes that fit the switches, then put some nutplates on the panel to make them removable switch units. Just one hole to cut.

I'm not much for posting pictures, I'll see if I can find them or take some more. The Carling switches we installed snap in place, no screws. Geoff at Aerosport did the labeling on ours , professional job. Give him a call ,I'm quite sure he would tell you what he used for labeling.

Other Vendors

Just checked out the site shown above and I thought they had exactly what I needed, but there DPDT switch is on-off-on. What we need, might not be called a DPDT . We want the function as above switch, but without the off center position. Anyone know what switch we are looking for?
Thanks Ron

Not sure what the designation would be, but I also found the switches at Mouser, you might want to check with them.

Thanks Ron

It sounds like you're asking for an ON-NONE-ON switch...

The Carlingtech website (producer of the switch) does list the ON-NONE-ON two pole switch as part of their product line, and the Waytekwire site (your preferred vendor) has a statement saying that you can contact them for special orders.

Last edited:
A friend of mine used these switches in his SX300. I liked their looks too, so I got dimension details and laid them in my Autocad panel drawing only to find out that there is not room enough at the bottom of a standard Vans panel. These are full size switches that look similar to the RV12 only larger. You may have room enough unless you are putting a 10" Skyview EFIS like I am. Just wanted to point that out.

I ended up using the Honeywell AML34 and AML24 series available from Mouser and Avionics Mall in different configurations both lighted and unlighted (I would insert links but I've not figured out how to do that yet). These switches are used on some of the avionics displays at Sun n Fun & Oshkosh. Avionics Mall has covers (covers can be removed ) with switch position info engraved.

Last edited:
..... Avionics Mall has covers (covers can be removed ) with switch position info engraved.

These guys will custom engrave the switch covers for you, instead of using the preset texts...

http://www.engravers.net/aircraft/rocker_switches.htm

rocker1.jpg

Aerosport?

Who is "Aerosport, the maker of the Carbon panel". Searched net and couldn't located any webs site.

Jim

www.MasterDesigns.com

I don't want to step on any toes, but I can also assist with custom laser engraving or CNC routing if you need some help, and we offer discounts to VAF members. :D

A buddy in our chapter is building a Velocity and using these switches. He used Over The River and Thru the Woods (www.otrattw.com) to purchase them. The big suppliers (Digikey, Newark etc) stock a few but do not stock many of the configurations. Otrarrw was able to supply the configurations he needed and was very good to work with.

Photos of the Velocity at www.kal-soft.com/velocity

Jim Butcher
Europa XS
N241BW