Paul Thomas

Well Known Member
Next launch will be August 7th. Anyone going? If so let's get together, I'm planning on flying there for the day. I know several of you have seen launches before and I'd apreciate any advice. Where to go to get a good view, how early to be there...

Remember there is only so many left so if you want to see one, go early as the launch may get cancelled and you'll have to go home. The first time I went to the Cape for a launch was 11 years ago (I was 11) and the launch got cancelled both time, we had to fly back home to France on the day it launched.

Anyone is welcome to join in.

I haven't done any planning yet. The shuttle launches at 7:00 pm so we'll all have to be there quite a before that due to the TFR (no clue as to how wide it will be). I'll get going with more research next week (I'm taking final exams this week and graduate! Right in the middle of OSH :( ). I'm currently thinking of getting there early in the day and spending some time at the museum. I'll post time and locations when I've got things figured out.

While I'm FL based, I have no idea which is the better airport to use, where is the best place to see the launch... I know some of the members here have seen launches before and I was hoping they'd be kind enough to share their wisdom.

Definitely Go if You Can!

I strongly encourage folks to see a launch - after seeing my first one last month, I can say that it must be experienced!

I can tell you that the TFR goes into affect about 8 hours prior to the launch - exact times, of course will be published later, and that can change - but probably good enough for planning. There ER several airports you can use, depending on how close you want to be - Titusville is closest to the Visitor Center, Merritt Island is down by Cocoa Beach, and there is another up to the north....I know you can get rental cars at the first two for sure.

Best place to watch? I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I can't really tell you - I have "options" not available to the general public, so I haven't really checked them out. Perhaps a true local will chime in for you....

Paul

Viewing options

My last launch was in 93. I shot well over 30 launches as a press photograper. There are several VIP options, but the best for the general public used to be a congressional VIP. In the past it included a VIP bus tour, including a drive by of the pad and VIP seating south of Pad 39A, about 4 miles away from the pad. Call your congressman's office with an inquiry. The other option used to be a NASA vehicle pass. It allowed as many people you could fit into the vehicle into a NASA parking field with a view that was about twice as close as the view from the beach. I would contact NASA Public Affairs, in Florida, with inquiries. The best view of any launch to me is from a restricted area call "Astronaut Road" Great views of 39A and 39B.

This will not be a night launch, but the lighting for photos will be great with the sun setting in the west. I saw two night time launches, Apollo 17 and STS-8. Apollo 17 was the best. My dad and I drove down. I was 14, on a trip with my dad to watch one of the most magical events in history. STS-8 was rain delayed, humid, soggy work. It was still great!

Try the AYCE rock shrimp at the Dixie Crossroads, in Titusville. Good eats.

Paul probably can provide more current information, but I would be glad to help, if needed.

Robby,

Thanks for your help. I tried to get VIP passes from the congressmen's office (Martinez and Nelson) and they're both "out" as all the info had to be filled in by Friday. I'll just watch it with everyone else, I'll go back another time for a closer look.