JDOJR

I have recently purchased two "Newton" locking fuel caps. I would like feedback if anyone has installed them on a flying airframe. Specifically the method of installation.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm curious what they look like... Do you have a link to a website? I haven't heard of these before...

I purchased the deluxe locking fuel caps

From Van's for my sb wings. They are Newton's Aero 300. They are very nice, light finger pressure to open and close. They don't leak or allow sigphoning through key slot.

Only one disadvantage...the curvature is too much to match our wing skins. So the very hard aluminum must be sanded down. Long, hot process. Have gloves and cool off often.

Unless you want to cut an access hole as big as the flange, then the ones that proseal in would make a better choice.

Newtons are worth it.

From the Newton website:

"Vans offer our ‘300 cap in a special flange machined to fit the wing profile, and rivet inside the tank. (The standard vans fuel cap is made by Vans’ brother in law which may explain why ours is offered only as an option) They call ours the ‘luxury’ version, but my view is that owners are dazzled by the merits of their aeroplanes and tend to overlook the horrors of their fuel caps."

We use the Newtons on our Jabirus and I took them for granted until I tried to remove Tony Boy's standard fuel caps. Van's caps ARE horrifying. Yes, I broke a nail. :mad: ;)

I would also be interested to see details about installing them in a new tank or, if it's possible, retrofitting them to an existing tank. I have one of each and Newton caps are on my wish list.

Last edited:
From the Newton website:

"Vans offer our ?300 cap in a special flange machined to fit the wing profile, and rivet inside the tank. (The standard vans fuel cap is made by Vans? brother in law which may explain why ours is offered only as an option) They call ours the ?luxury? version, but my view is that owners are dazzled by the merits of their aeroplanes and tend to overlook the horrors of their fuel caps."

So, the Newtons are the optional locking caps offered by Vans?

We use the Newtons on our Jabirus and I took them for granted until I tried to remove Tony Boy's standard fuel caps. Van's caps ARE horrifying. Yes, I broke a nail. :mad: ;)

Katie, with a sense of humor like that you are a keeper!:cool:

Even further OT: I got my instrument training and ticket from Mr. Bob Bomar at SYI in 1990. I sure do miss that area!

Are the Newton caps the ones Mark F. supplied with the F-1 Rockets? And if so, does anyone know which model number he distributed or that works best with the skin curvature? I have not closed my tanks yet and would like to put locking fuel caps in before doing so.

Newton locking fuel caps

I installed them in my RV-10. I have 500 hrs. on the plane and I love em. Neat appearance, They DON"T LEAK, easy to install also. They come with a insert that drops right in with Pro-seal. A quality product.
Don
N410JA

They come with a insert that drops right in with Pro-seal. A quality product.
Don
N410JA

IIRC, there are two types. One you install during the build, the other, like you have, are retrofittable to stock flanges. By necessity the retrofit types have a smaller fill orifice. Not a problem in most cases.

So if I order a wing kit from Vans and I want the the delux caps, do I need to tell them to eliminate the stock fuel cap parts from the kit? Will I get any credit for elimination of stock parts?