decathlon737

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Can anyone tell me when the newer spars were released in the RV-8. Trying to decide on purchaseing an older project. Thanks in advance.
Decathlon737

I don't know the answer but I have the original spar and have no issues with it. If I was in the market for a project, I would be more worried about the quality of workmanship already done.

Karl

Spars

Spars were changed at some point around 99 or 2000 I think. Not much, but the earlier ones are limited to 1550 lbs. for aerobatics and the ones after serial no. XXX upped to 1600 lbs. Not a deal breaker if the price is right. Call Van's and they can tell you when and where the serial number change occured.

I still fly my plane with confidence (original spar design), but it was no wonder to me that the weak point is where it is. A spar cap, skin joint and control surfaces all terminate near this point of concern. Extending the spar cap another 10-12" sure makes sense. Which is what I believe was done. Having the new design wouldn't be a deal killer to me alone. Would factor in somewhat though. Overall workmanship is the key, IMO.

2 cents