AndyRV7

Well Known Member
First of all hello! I am a brand new forum menber and hope to be a new builder before too long.

I have a million or so questions, as you might imagine, but I'll try to focus my thoughts. I have been researching the RV-7 build for a few months and I really think I want to try this. But what I can't seem to deduce from all the posts and stories and literature I've read, or the Van's DVD, is what exactly am I overlooking. That is, what if I can "assemble" all the parts of the kit, then what else do I have to know or learn to be able to pull everything together into a working airplane? Maybe things like priming the parts, or picking and installing the communication or navigation or flight equipment, or maybe installing an engine and getting it to run. Where are the biggest hurdles, or are they different for everybody?

Be gentle. I am nowhere near as knowledgeable about any of this as you people, obviously, but I hope to be getting smarter. I'll take whatever insight you have to offer!!:)

Over the next few months, I hope to work out a potential build location (preferably attached to my residence!!) Incidentally, I am in Northern NJ. I also hope to make contact with a builder or two to actually get to see an RV-7 in person. Ultimately, I'll need to find a ride before I can order the kit for myself, but I still have to work all that out. And if nothing changes my mind along the way, I hope to jump in with two feet in the Spring.

So that is my story. Thanks for your help and any patient answers you might provide!!

Andy

That is, what if I can "assemble" all the parts of the kit, then what else do I have to know or learn to be able to pull everything together into a working airplane?

So, personally, I wouldn't sweat "the other stuff". Once you get to that point, you'll have spent enough time to figure it out, and if not, there are great websites, that provide *TONS* of info. This is one of those sites.

So for me, I'm just getting ready to start on my wings. And the things down the road, like avionics, and engines and props they don't worry me. I know the basics about them, but not nearly enough to install them. Does that worry me? Nope - not a bit. When I get to the points during the build, where I'm in need of figuring something out, I'll research it, learn it, and do it.

Get your ride, and you'll never look back!

Ryan touched on this.

I can't remember where I heard this, but one of the best pieces of advice I have ever heard was... Don't look at this as one big project (building an airplane), but rather think of it as a collection of many smaller projects (i.e. horiz stab, rudder, wings, canopy, etc.).

As Ryan said, don't sweat the stuff like avionics or engines yet, just get started and you will figure it all out when the time comes. Once you get started, you'll be amazed how fast you learn.

Thanks guys. This is encouraging. I guess I just have some nagging fear that I am overlooking what might end up being the real difficult part of the project.

But you are correct. I think you must end up having to learn many different skills along the way. Is there any particular thing you need to know so you don't run into a lot of downtime for not preparing (other than the lead times on the kit orders)??

Sounds to me like you would really benefit from joining the nearest EAA chapter.

Also, there may be a local RV builders group, and that would help also.

Good luck, go for it!!!

Ryan touched on this.

I can't remember where I heard this, but one of the best pieces of advice I have ever heard was... Don't look at this as one big project (building an airplane), but rather think of it as a collection of many smaller projects (i.e. horiz stab, rudder, wings, canopy, etc.).

As Ryan said, don't sweat the stuff like avionics or engines yet, just get started and you will figure it all out when the time comes. Once you get started, you'll be amazed how fast you learn.

I couldn't agree more. Doing the inventory when I got my wing kit was a real eye opener. What have I got myself into??!! I quickly lost myself in doing the small tasks that are a part of the big picture and forgot about the big picture. (Well, I didn't dwell on it but knew I was building a plane) Then one evening, all of a sudden there was nothing left to do but rivet on the skins. It really was amazing how I just was so focused on the small tasks, having wings almost finished seemed startling!:eek:

Then I got the fuse kit, and doing the inventory that same overwhelming feeling started to creep in, but this time I knew better. Every night I go into the shop and do something. I got the fuse kit at the end of July. I now have my firewall, center section, and all the rest of the formers done and last weekend spent my time clecoing together my aft fuse. Spent the week deburring and dimpling and tomorrow I can start putting it back toghether for real.

It really is one step at a time. If you come to something you need to learn, just do it. The really "hard" part is the decision to commit yourself to it.

Last edited:
don't procrastinate

your situation may not warrant getting started now for whatever reason(s). I'd suggest that if you are really leaning toward this, get started sooner rather than later. if you could manage, you could probably have the emp completed easily by spring - - rather than waiting to start in the spring.

I think van (maybe others) have a little toolbox or something you can build for practice. that is probably the second best way to get an idea of what you are taking on. the best way you've already identified. get with a local builder! you'll get a real idea of the skills required and magnitude of the project, plus make a new friend at the same time (and likely be exploited for your labor a little).

welcome to the club.

Andy,

Just as I was getting started on my -9 I visited a builder who was months away from flying. When I asked him what the most difficult part of it was, he replied, "Whatever comes next." I soon learned that each task had its challenges and once you were over the learning curve, you actually looked forward to taking on the next challenge.

Regarding your instruments, hold off until the last minute to buy them. The electronic instruments are changing so quickly that whatever you like today will be completely different by the time you are ready to lay down the cash.

...what else do I have to know or learn to be able to pull everything together into a working airplane? Maybe things like priming the parts, or picking and installing the communication or navigation or flight equipment, or maybe installing an engine and getting it to run. Where are the biggest hurdles, or are they different for everybody?

I agree that having other builders around (whether in person or as part of an extensive online community like VAF) helps anwer a lot of questions as you're getting started, and also before beginning parts of the project that people find more challenging or controversial than the others (things like the canopy skirt, fiberglass in general, the elevator trim tab, avionics selection and installation, priming, painting, etc.)

Overall, the three things that have helped me the most have been:

1. Spending a lot of time studying the drawings beofore doing any work. I probably spend as much time reading as I do building. I use a yellow highlighter to point out those hidden little notes and important dimensions on the drawings. Before doing anything I haven't done before, I also research stuff online. (VAF is a great resource, and is highly worth a generous donation, BTW.) It's nice to see a photo of how the other person did it -- even if you only learn how not to do it...

2. Having good tools, and lots of them. Yes, you can build an airplane with the the basic items listed in Van's literature, but building becomes a true pleasure when you have quality tools. Your workmanship and peace-of-mind wil be much better if you stay away from the cheap stuff.

3. Studying AC 43.13-1B, "Aircraft Inspection, Repair & Alterations: Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices." It's the aircraft builder's "Bible" for how to do stuff properly. Want to know how to attach the ground wire for your nav light to the tip rib? It's in there. How much torque should you use on an AN-3 bolt, if the kit manufacturer doesn't specify it? It's in there.

Congratulations on making the decision to get started! Building an airplane is a lifestyle choice you won't regret. We'll all be here to help you along the way. :)

Andy,

Like the old saying goes, "How do you eat an elephant?" "One bite at a time"
I still chuckle at one of my first google searches for "Cleco". You will be amazed at how much information you are about to crave, search, wake up in the middle of the night saying to yourself...THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT!!

Hit as many builders web sites and peek around, read the plans three times, measure twice and cut once. Might as well order a set of elevator trim tab skins now, just to get ahead of the game:D

The only way to describe it is obsessive:) A wonderful obsession!!

We will be here to comfort you on that first smiley you put in the rudder skin!!

Last edited:
This is all great!! I really am looking forward to having a go at this. And I think I've already gotten my dad excited to help!:D

I'm going to look into the EAA tomorrow, and I think I want to start by finding a build class nearby. That might take at least a little of the mystery out of working with aluminum and rivets and whatnot!! Then, a few other details aside, I am pretty sure I am going to get started.

Thanks for all the comforting today!

Andy