cbennet1

Well Known Member
The Van's suggested tool list contains:

Flat set 1/2" x 1/8"
Flat set 3/8" x 1/8"

Are these Flush Squeezer sets? Would these be the Avery 1621 and 1721 respectively?

Thanks in advance,
Craig

Yes, flat squeezer sets... depending upon what squeezer you end up with, I would recommend taller sets in each diameter as well. I have the Main Squeeze by Cleaveland and I've got 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 in each of the 3/8 and 1/2 diameter. This gives me some flexability when I switch between my different yokes.

Flat sets

Nate is on the money with his advice. I found it necessary to have both diameter sets around. You will use the larger ones whenever possible, and the smaller diameters in close areas where the big ones won't go. It will become apparent to you as you progress into the project.

Good luck!!
Chris

As Jay Pratt said on here somewhere..."buy every tool you can get your hand on....you will use them all."

Here is a good/cheap sources for different sized squeezer sets:

The Yard

I originally bought the avery toolkit, but then augmented it with a 7 piece flat set ($15) from the yard. It's been helpful having those different sized sets.

As Jay Pratt said on here somewhere..."buy every tool you can get your hand on....you will use them all."
Jay is a very smart man!

What I always tell builders is, "When you find yourself saying, 'I can make THIS work,' stop right there and order the proper tool. Otherwise you will bugger up the part you are working. Then you will have a one to two week delay while waiting for the replacement part AND your new tool to arrive."

Best dimple dies

I've bought the Avery tool kit and have been more than happy with everything they advised me to pick on top of the basic kit. Due to shipping costs, it's better to collect the maximum of tools in one shot when you live in France and I also like to have a chat in French with Mimi :).

However, I was not really satisfied by how my dimples looked, so I searched the forums and read about Cleaveland by many builders. When I was in need for some more tools :D, I took (jumped on) the opportunity to order them from Cleaveland and went for a couple of their dimple dies. Wow, incredible difference, I couldn't believe how my new dimples were crisp and left the skin totally flat around the hole.
So if you're still looking for dimple dies, go Cleaveland at least for these. And if you go the hand squeezer route, their Main Squeeze is also a very good choice.

Good luck with your project