Gonefishing77

I'm New Here
Hello people of VAF,

I am new to this site and looking into purchasing a Vans RV7 or RV14 standard build. Financially leaning towards the RV7, but am wondering if the RV14 would be a better fit for me (6'3" and 235lbs) and worth the extra money??. Also, Does anyone know when the finishing kit will be available on the RV14 and what is the likely price?? Trying to gather as much wisdom as possible before committing

I am living in Adelaide, Australia and am wondering if anyone else is local and has any tips/pointers about getting the process started or things they wished they had thought of prior to buying the first kit?

Many thanks,
Peter

"when the finishing kit will be available on the RV14 and what is the likely price??"

You can order it now, though not sure when they'll start deliveries.

12 650$US

Welcome

I am living in Adelaide, Australia and am wondering if anyone else is local and has any tips/pointers about getting the process started or things they wished they had thought of prior to buying the first kit?
Many thanks,
Peter

Welcome Peter
Tips
Watch the EAA videos. Read every thread in the VAF "Tips" section. Once you find a local mentor, build the two training kits then drill them apart and build them again. Why? Because drilling rivets is almost as important a skill as driving rivets.
Always do a search before starting an assembly. Someone has been there, done that and hopefully posted "gotchas". You'll make plenty of mistakes of your own. No sense making other people's mistakes. When you do make one, don't be shy. We never stop learning.
Finally, don't buy anything until you get your significant other involved.

Thanks guys... Do you know if the new kits come with the required parts to c/o required S/B's or do you have to buy these additional to the kit??

Gonefishing77
G'day, I am in Adelaide and am just in the process of painting and final assembly of an RV7. PM me and let me know where you are. :)

RV-7 Size

Hello people of VAF,

I am new to this site and looking into purchasing a Vans RV7 or RV14 standard build. Financially leaning towards the RV7, but am wondering if the RV14 would be a better fit for me (6'3" and 235lbs) and worth the extra money??. Also, Does anyone know when the finishing kit will be available on the RV14 and what is the likely price?? Trying to gather as much wisdom as possible before committing

Many thanks,
Peter

Peter,

I am about your size at 6'3" an 240#. I fly an RV-8 which is extremely comfortable for me, but I took my transition training in an RV-7 and found it to comfortable as well.

Skylor,
RV-8, Flying 400+ hours

"when the finishing kit will be available on the RV14 and what is the likely price??"

You can order it now, though not sure when they'll start deliveries.

12 650$US

$12650 for the finishing kit will make the standard kit more expensive than the Quickbuild??

The quick build is just the airframe ... you will need to buy the finishing kit regardless of whether you go standard or quick build.

SB Wing + Fuse = 7805 + 9795 = 17600
QB Wing + Fuse = 30250

And then there will be the empennage kit, finishing kit, firewall-forward/power plant kit and avionics kit.

SBs

Thanks guys... Do you know if the new kits come with the required parts to c/o required S/B's or do you have to buy these additional to the kit??

If I understand the question, yes. Service Bulletins are included in the kit up to the date of manufacture but you should check to be sure.

Welcome

Welcome Peter,
I am new around here, too. Everyone has been awesome answering questions, and even letting me visit their factory. A super resource for a builder!

Thanks Scott, Yep everyone has been very helpful... I had a look at your build log and I am envious of the space you have to build in...

I am looking forward to ordering my Emp kit soon.