attackpilot

Hello Everyone:

I just received my Avery tool kit and the practice kit from Van's. I haven't been able to go to a SportAir workshop, but I think I can figure most of it out.

My questions are: How do I setup the hand squeezer to sqeeze a rivet to the appropriate length without over squeezing it? Do I measure the distance between the dies? Is there a quick way? Does it matter which dies I use?

Please help!

Thanks,

Joe Hutchison
Just ordered RV-10 Tail Kit

How much to squeeze

Hi Joe,
as an anal engineer I was in the same boat about 7 years ago (building a very slow build -6A). The real answer it to have the rivet gauges that show you when the shop head is the correct height and diameter. You'll get a feel for this later but to start get a scrap piece of aluminum, drill and dimple a couple pieces. Then squeeze and check the size with the gauge. You don't want the head to slip into the hole (not squeezed enough) nor do you want it too short (big head but over squeezed). Try a couple with scrap and you'll soon get the hang of setting it up. Several thousand rivets later and you're done! Welcome to the club!
Paul Czarapata
N694BP - Reserved

Joe,

By far the easiest way is to set the dies what you guess is a little too far apart. Squeeze the rivet, and check it out. It should be not squished enough, so turn the plunger a half a turn, and give the rivet another squeeze. Repeat until the rivet is set properly. If you got the complete Avery kit, it included a set of rivet gages, so you can use these to test the rivets for proper shop heads.

Sometimes a particular die set will be required for a special application, but most of the time it really doesn't matter which flat die or cupped die you use, as long as it fits the rivet.

The Avery tool kit is great, but I highly recommend adding a longeron yoke and a no-hole yoke. There are some rivets you cannot set properly without these (I ended up using some pop rivets on the empennage; now I wish I had gotten the extra yokes sooner).

Pat