jdgold

I'm New Here
Hi all,

I am considering buying an already built RV-6A or 7A to fulfill a lifelong dream of owning my own airplane. I am a current military pilot but don't have much

experience in GA aircraft. I am also considering buying a Cessna Cardinal. The top of my budget is around $65K, but I'd like to stay lower than that if possible

to have some reserve $ left over for the inevitable expenses.

Part of my typical "mission" will be cross country flights (about 600 mile radius from N.J.). The extra seat or two (depending on weight) in the Cardinal would

be nice, but I don't think I'd use it/them that much, and I'd love to go upside down again.

Compared to other "traditional" airplanes, how is the RV6A as an IFR platform as far as stability, work load, etc.? I'd like to hear from pilots who have flown

both types.

Is an autopilot with alt hold a desirable thing in the RV6 compared to other types of single engine airplanes?

Compared to other "traditional" airplanes, how is the RV6A comfort level for two average size people on longer (3+ hour) trips?

Can you do "leisurley" aerobatics with 360 lb of people in it?

Thanks in advance.

J.D.

Advice on RV vs Cardinal

RV for sure wins!

>Maintenance and parts: saves a bundle

>Performance

>Acro (you'll be solo most of the time)

>Formation

> Cool friends (fellow RV'ers)

>Fun!

Note: As an A&P I feel sorry for those who own older certified aircraft as maintenance is tougher and tougher to obtain. Parts are hard to find and mechanics who understand and want to work on older planes are dying off/retiring. Save yourself a headache and go for an RV.

Welcome J.D.

FWIW, an RV-6 is two inches wider than a Skyhawk. It's cozy but comfortable and I've done many 2 1/2 hour trips and a few 3 hours without discomfort, and you gotta realize, that's almost 600 miles!

You can do all of your own maintenance, as Vern pointed out and only need an A@P for condition (annual) inspections, not an IA.

Parts costs are waaaaay lower than certed airplanes.

Get a ride in one and you'll be convinced. Leisurely acro at gross is no problem....like aileron rolls, etc.

Best,

Watch the higher roll rates...

What makes the 6 so fun to fly makes it not so great for IFR. Now, while I am ducking:D let me say that many people do equip their 6's for IFR and fly them that way. The Cardinal is by far a way more stable IFR platform but you can't have as much fun with a Cardinal as you can a 6. If you are going to fly regular IFR in a 6 you will need multiple axis autopilot.
Personally, the high roll rates in a 6 would make me think twice about flying IFR in one. Thats why I picked the 9. Much more stable IFR platform. But you can't do acro...rats whats a guy to do. BUY TWO PLANES! One for acro, one for IFR. :D

Corvette or Cadillac?

We had a 1971 C-177B for 10 years and sold it when the RV-6 was ready to fly.
We also completed a RV-8 a year ago.

I would describe the Cardinal as a Cadillac and a RV as a Corvette in terms of their handling qualities.

Paul

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. It looks like finding a 6 or 7 with an autopilot would do the trick.

I've never flown in one, so that is my next step in this process.

J.D.

J.D.,

This one popped up right here today and looks like it's priced within your budget. Of course, due diligence required so buyer should get a knowledgeable RV person to take a look.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=68337

I've told friends I'd give up flying before going back to an old Cessna, that is unless someone would give me a Corvallis TT and pay for gas, etc... But then again, no acro...

JD,

I lived in Freehold for five years before transferring to Charlotte and was a member of EAA 315. I would suggest you join 315 and try getting a ride in an RV before laying any cash on the table.

JD,

I lived in Freehold for five years before transferring to Charlotte and was a member of EAA 315. I would suggest you join 315 and try getting a ride in an RV before laying any cash on the table.

though if you need a different opinion, i started my tail before i flew in one

never looked back, have over 6hrs DUAL in rv6 now

Thanks for all the advice. It looks like finding a 6 or 7 with an autopilot would do the trick.

I've never flown in one, so that is my next step in this process.

J.D.

Freehold!!!
I'm building a -8 in Brielle. there is a 7A, 9A, and 8A at Miller (MJX), I know of an -8 and RV-12 at OldBridge. None of them are for sale, but you can look.

Buying a flying RV

JD,

Buying a used aircraft requires due diligance, but a used experimental really requires study.
1. Get the checklist from Van's website which lists most of the paperwork items that you must have.
2. Hire someone who has expert knowledge about the RV aircraft to do a pre-buy inspection. Your local EAA chapter can help. Some DARs will do a pre-buy.
3. Don't restrict yourself to a specific geographical area - the best aircraft for you might be on the other end of the country.
4. Be willing to pay for your pre-buy inspector and yourself to travel to the prospective aircraft location, or to pay the owner to fly it to the inspector's location. The inspection should be to the standard of an annual inspection.
5. Every RV is different. The most important (read expensive if you make a mistake) items that you need to consider is the quality of the build (to be determined by the inspector) and the quality of the engine and constant speed propeller. A poor build will be apparent to anyone who has built one, and is always a negative. An undocumented engine and propellor will cost a fortune to rebuild or replace. I strongly recommend purchasing an aircraft that has an engine built by a professional (Lycoming, Aero Sport Power, Lycon, and many others) for the peace of mind. Obviously the Experimental owner can build his own engine, and many are capable of building a fine engine. It's not worth the risk as a second owner.
6. Since #5 is most important, do not worry about whether the aircraft has dated insrumentation and radios. You will probably want to build your own panel someday, anyway. Obvously a modern "glass cockpit" and multi-axis autopilot will demand a signifigant premium over the "steam gage" cockpit.
7. Be sure that all of the Van's Service Bulletins that apply have been done.
8. Be sure that all applicabe ADs and Service Bulletins have been accomplished on both the engine and propeller. (This takes quite a bit of research, especially if the engine is listed as "Experimental." You will have to go through each engine component by part number and compare them to the list of ADs applicable, whereas with a certified engine, the owner of the engine will be notified of applicable ADs.)

Even following all of the steps above, mistakes can be made. When I bought my RV8, I checked off "Airworthiness Certificate" on Van's checklist, not realizing that the operating limitations (part of the Certificate) were missing. I had to jump through a bunch of hoops with the Dallas FISDO to get that fiasco fixed.

You might think from the discussion above that I would reconsider my decision to buy an RV8. NO WAY! After nearly 2 years and almost 300 hours in the aircraft, I've still got the RV grin. Acrobatics, Formation, and ACM are a ball in the airplane. Plus it goes nearly 200 MPH at 7.0 GPH for cross country! And the RV community is the best bunch of passionate and helpful friends that you could find.

Go for it!

Craig

Great info

Bill R: I'll look into joining EAA 315. That seems like a good place to start (and to get a ride in a 6 or 7).

Greg: I'm looking to be based in Oldbridge, NJ (3N6). I'm on a list for a hanger there. Are you going to hanger in BLM once its finished? I'd love to see it.

Mike: Do you have an autopilot in your 6A?

Craig: Thanks for the great advice. I really appreciate it. I agree with you on everthing except #6. I think I would be better off finding an airplane that ALREADY has most of what I want in it (avionics-wise) and letting the seller take the depreciation on the avionics/autopilot. In the "conventional" plane market, sellers are only getting around 1/2 of what they put into their panels. But, if the right plane comes along at the right price with steam gauges in it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. After all, I have about 7000 hours sitting behind round gauges (T-37, T-38, C-141, C-5A, 727) and am very comfortable there...

Also, are there any RV professional builder/pilots out there who offer their services (eg. pre-purchase, evaluate build quality, flight tests to see if a plane meets the numbers, flight training, etc.) on a fee basis?

J.D.

Last edited:
J.D.

You'll probably get all the answers you need and also be able to network with other RV'ers here. As someone researching a build project (an RV-12), I've found this forum to be very helpful and the members individually quite gracious.

But let me add, there is also another way to work the RV Network (and many RV owners aren't active members here) and that's using the owners/builders mailing list that Vans works hard to maintain & keep current. A very nice gal at Vans - Cynthia - can on request offer you a list of RV builders/owners that is sorted by zip code for your state. I found this very helpful e.g. by identifying for me an RV-12 project underway right near my home but which I didn't/couldn't know about via VAF. You can email Cynthia at cynthias at vansaircraft dot com Others have used the list to ID an RV owner near them whom they can approach for a ride. It's just another way to skin the cat...

Jack