dkretch

I'm New Here
Hi folks,

During my last 3rd class medical exam I was borderline on one of the tests. I did pass but this event has been a real eye opener for me. So I started looking at light sport aircraft before I become a non-flying statistic. I've always wanted to build a plane and almost bought a Zenith Zodiac 601XL kit 2 years ago. Glad I didn't follow through on that one!

That's my background, now for a couple of questions.
1. I'm a big guy, 6'4". Will I fit in an RV-12?
2. What is a realistic build time? (I'm very mechanical)

If there is anyone in the Minneapolis area that has an RV-12 that would allow me to try it on for size, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!
Dan Kretchmer

Dan,

A little over a year ago I had the same question. See this thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=35969

I have flown the red RV-12 twice (shhh - don't tell) and I am very comfortable in it. Plenty of head room even with a headset.

I have 847 hours in my project over about 14 months. Finish kit is about 90% done and the engine and avionics are on order. I am really taking my time. I am pretty good with tools but there are a lot of new skills to be learned and there is no reason to hurry.

John

I'm a big guy, 6'4". Will I fit in an RV-12?

The two guys that designed the 12 are taller than you. In fact, you would have a bigger problem if you were short. My wife can't reach the pedals so I'm going to have to figure out some way to extend em.