znewbie

I'm New Here
Sorry guys I guess I'm kind of a troll. I'm an engineer who has some new part on the docett! We will be riveting some aluminum together that has to be primed per Mil-P-23377.......Question is do we rivet the nutplates on as well before painting and if so are the threads on the nutplate normally plugged?

sorry for not being a fanatic on the planes, but this looked like the place to come to get a good answer

:)

Zac

Primer the skins before riveting the nutplates on. Priming is most important on mating surfaces, particularly those where dissimilar metals mate. Nutplates are coated (cadnium?) and do not need to be primered.

Consider this: you would certainly primer the mating sides of two pieces which form a lap joint, prior to riveting. Same idea holds for a nutplate.

Primer the skins before riveting the nutplates on. Priming is most important on mating surfaces, particularly those where dissimilar metals mate. Nutplates are coated (cadnium?) and do not need to be primered.

Consider this: you would certainly primer the mating sides of two pieces which form a lap joint, prior to riveting. Same idea holds for a nutplate.

So I shouldl be alodining the plates, priming them then riveting them together?

Zac, welcome to VAF.

No, you don't need to do anything additional to the nutplates - just use them the way they come.

I think Jeff was just saying that you should do the aluminum corrosion protection before riveting on the nutplates so that the small surface area of aluminum under the nutplate is protected.

I'm unfamiliar with the Mil-P-23377 spec so the primer you are using might be vastly different from mine, but I have primed over nutplates with a few different primers while doing touch up work and never had a problem with the threads getting clogged up. In my experience it doesn't hurt anything to prime the entire thing after assembly but the corrosion protection benefit is really not there unless the aluminum under the plate is primed before the nutplate goes on.

Last edited: