Fallguy

Hi all:

At long last, I got my wife and 3 year old daughter over to the Twin Oaks Airpark (Van's Home Wing/EAA 105) pancake breakfast.

My daughter had the best time of all! She screamed with joy as every plane took of, and marvelled at my incessant comment, "These people built the airplanes themselves."

So now my daughter and wife have signed on to the five year plan of building an airplane. It has been a dream of mine since just after the womb.

My question is, am I putting the cart before the horse? While I have about 2k freefall parachute jumps (last one four years ago; we got pregnant), my flight training has been stalled somewhere close to solo-ing for over two years (my medical even expired).

Is it wise to start the build with flight training resuming either concurrently or on the horizon?

As it stands now, I am stuck between the quite different shapes and missions of the 8A and the 10. I am unsure how to evaluate my mission needs without actually having a fair amount of flying as PIC under my belt.

I have had a blast reading all of your advice to others over the last several weeks; would some of you be kind enough to offer your thoughts on my predicament?

We have a couple of months before I want to order our empennage kit; we plan to first complete an EAA seminar on RV assembly (my wife will go as well).

I hope you are all well,

Wade Lindberg
Hillsboro Oregon

It sounds like you need to build the 10. Otherwise, somebody will be left behind.

You can build while you complete flight training. Just remember you will be taking on a large financial commitment. Make sure you can sustain the building, flying, and your family responsibilities, not necessarily in that order, or else there may be a lot of heartaches.

Good luck!

Roberta

Which One?

Sounds like 10 is worth some serious thought. It may sound selfish but you need to consider the type of flying that you intend to do. If there is any acro looming on the horizon you may have to sit back and take turns giving rides to the family members. If family trips are your passion then you have no choice. Remember that the bigger the plane the bigger the bills and college sneaks up fast.

I am a dad in the same set of circumstances and had to go with the 7A. It sure feels good to have the support of your family. Good luck

Thanks for the replies

Your time and advice is appreciated. Your two scenarios sure boil the argument down to the same place I was before.

Given my previous aviation background, I think mild aerobatics are probably desired if it fits. On the other hand, we dream about travelling regionally to see friends on short notice. Friends in California sound like it could be within range (with good alternates and a fuel stop if needed).

AAuuuugghh! I have time....I always have time. But being fresh from seeing beautiful and flying versions of both aircraft this weekend has me wanting to win the lottery and build both.

N610RV; MR. DeBauw's new ride was more stunning than in his wonderfullly constructed slideshow and first flight video gave it credit. If I could do half as well...

Thanks again folks,

Wade

8A or the 10?

Both good choices, obviously. Not sure what the rental situation is near where you live, but that might be an option for the occasional trip with the whole family. If you're like most RVers, you're gonna love to fly much more than the wife and kid(s), which means a lot of solo flying, or perhaps formation with your buds.

A mini-van is a great, but if most of your driving is solo, fast, and on winding roads, you might want something sporty.

I personally have gone with the 8 since I want something very different from my flying club's Pipers.

rv8ch said:
Both good choices, obviously. Not sure what the rental situation is near where you live, but that might be an option for the occasional trip with the whole family. If you're like most RVers, you're gonna love to fly much more than the wife and kid(s), which means a lot of solo flying, or perhaps formation with your buds.
A mini-van is a great, but if most of your driving is solo, fast, and on winding roads, you might want something sporty............
Excellent points. Many of us fly solo 85-90% of the time. You have to ask yourself if the typical mission you foresee can and will justify the considerable additional on-going ownership costs of a four-place airplane. A given pilot may very well be saving themselves a substantial amount of money over the long term by simply renting a 4-place aircraft if the additional capacity is only occasionally required. Such costs may or may not be a deciding factor depending upon the comfort level of your lifestyle. But if money is an object, for starters call your insurance provider and ask what the projected insurance costs are when comparing a typical 2-place RV to the RV-10.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"