mototopo

Well Known Member
Hi all.
I'm almost ready to start building my RV-7A.
Before starting I'm making some practice with the Van's tool box... first dimpling... first rivets... first troubles!

The problem is that once I dimpled the holes on the side panels of the tool box using the DRDT-2, I noticed that the panel is warped (especially close to the corners) and don't stay flat (the warp is really evident). What is going wrong? I'm afraid to do the same on the precious empennage so I need to understand what I have to correct in my tecnique/setup.
Hope someone can help.

Send an e-mail to Paul Merems [email protected] with photos. Paul is a good guy and will be able to tell you what the problem with the dimples are.

It is difficult to say what is wrong without seeing the problem. Maybe you could post some pictures here.

Bill F
RV-8 Tail
Tucson AZ

I have a DRDT-2. are you adjusting the die such that you feel the cam-over action of the dimpler lever? Try it on a piece of scrap (if you have any). I am about done with the fuselage, I have a whole box of scrap. Some of it intentional, some unintentional.

You should not experience anything like that on the real kit. We did see the same thing when we built 15+ toolboxes at an EAA workshop... Don't worry.. nothing's wrong with the DRDT in this case... we didn't use it and we saw similar results.. Just a lot of holes close together on a thin sheet of metal.. warping can happen.. You can just straighten that piece by hand.. Again, I don't recall running into this on the real kit.

Just to add -- we only saw this on those corner pieces.. didn't warp much/at all on other parts..

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies.
The dimple dies I'm using are Avery's spring back so I think they are innocent!

Unfortunately at the moment I'm unable to send picture because my camera is at repair shop, I'll provide as soon as possible if I don't find a solution in the meanwhile.
Yesterday I dimpled the hinge of the tool box and it came out with a nice U shape @##!!@! Once clecoed to the body of the tool box there was no more problem, but I would like not to see a similar occurence on my empennage.
I looked at a lot of RV project around the web and never seen a piece warped like the one on my tool box... I'm really depressed! :(

I'll re-check the alignment of the DRDT... maybe it is not perfectly square... :confused:

Warped when dimpled

Most of the time when I see a part that is warped after dimpling is is because it was not dimpled with enough pressure the first time. Set your dimpler up for more pressure and redimple.

Ditto

mike crowe said:
Most of the time when I see a part that is warped after dimpling is is because it was not dimpled with enough pressure the first time. Set your dimpler up for more pressure and redimple.

Check the presure. I had the same problem. Unless you get a full dimple you will see a 'warp' in the sheet.

Solved!!

I tried a few dimple more on the tool box using more pressure as suggested by jdeas and mike and now I don't have warping problems anymore. The rivets too came out really better than the previous, now they sit flush very well. Thank you very much for your help!! :D