Azjulian

Well Known Member
hi all - I've been reading a lot about the Vans kits and in particular the RV12... haven't built a plane before, this would be my first.

here are my questions...

1. As the airplane is experimental does that mean I cant fly over populated areas ?

2. what is the resale market like ? will I be able to sell something I have built ?

3. whats the normal procedure for test flight once built ?

julian

Hello Julian,
Here are my answers to yours questions....
1. You can fly over populated areas, but there are rules the FAA has about height that you must follow.
2. Assuming you build to an acceptable quality...not like Homer Simpson, you shouldn't have any problems. The aircraft market goes up and down just like Wall Street.
3. If you build EAB, then the FAA will give you a test flying area for the first 40hrs of flight usually 50 mile radius of your home airport. After the 40 hrs of testing, you can go basically anywhere.

RV12 is a good airplane to build for the first time builder (I am one).

Welcome

hi all - I've been reading a lot about the Vans kits and in particular the RV12... haven't built a plane before, this would be my first.

here are my questions...

1. As the airplane is experimental does that mean I cant fly over populated areas ?

2. what is the resale market like ? will I be able to sell something I have built ?

julian

Welcome Julian

1. There was some talk of a regulation on Experimentals but I don't think it went through.
2. Resale depends on lots of factors but if it's a typical, quality build, resale is pretty good. You won't get what you have in it and forget about your time but you should recoup a good value.
3. Standard test is 40 hours. Most builders use a set of test flight procedures. It typically takes the entire 40 to thoroughly test.
YMMV

thank you, this is helpful..

This is the regulation I was thinking of in reference to question 1.

91.319 (see section c)
(c) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator in special operating limitations, no person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate over a densely populated area or in a congested airway. The Administrator may issue special operating limitations for particular aircraft to permit takeoffs and landings to be conducted over a densely populated area or in a congested airway, in accordance with terms and conditions specified in the authorization in the interest of safety in air commerce.

Typical operating limitations will limit you to uncongested areas during phase I flight testing. After that you will have the following limitation:

"Flight over densely populated area or in a congested airway is authorized for the purpose of take-off and landing or when sufficient altitude is maintained to make a safe emergency landing in the event of a power unit failure without hazard to persons or property on the ground."

here are my questions...

julian

1. Normal GA restrictions
2. You can usually get what you invested not including your time.
3. If you build ELSA which would be my recommendation the fly off period is only 5 hours however completing a good new aircraft flight test program may take you longer.

here are my questions...

julian

If built as a e-lsa (as is recommended for a novice builder); you are restricted only during phase 1 testing....5 hours (usually takes a little longer to complete test cards). After which you are under same regs as GA aircraft. As others have stated, if you take your time....you can produce a really neat plane that will resale for reasonable return (maybe not total return on $$$ spent and forget any return on labor).

If you don't have much time in a similar AC....don't let your ego force you into first flight....have someone who is experienced check out your plane. Your plane may need trimming etc.....why take a chance in bending up something you've put many hours building...

The best advice is to read all of this blog. You can even download it in PDFs to read offline. Will answer almost every question you will have in an entertaining way. It really helped me to decide to build an RV12 as a first time builder. You will really understand the process and what it takes if you will read this. Www.schmetterlingaviation.com Read from the start of the build process.

Bill thankyou for sharing that blog, that's perfect, answers everything I had questions on and then some !

Julian

Flying over populated areas

Engines fail, that is a fact, fuel, mechanical. The only reason to fly over populated areas with any aircraft should be to land or take off period.

Engines fail, that is a fact, fuel, mechanical. The only reason to fly over populated areas with any aircraft should be to land or take off period.

That is easy to comply with when you live somewhere like New Ulm.
At a lot of cities, to travel from one airport to another on opposite sides could be a difference between a 1 hr flight vs a 15 minute flight.
It is also a question of judgement (both what constitutes a populated area, and what is safe). There are a lot of areas within a lot of cities that provide good emergency landing options.
Every flight we make requires using judgement regarding forced landing options. If there are some (that is the requirement of the current E-AB operating limitations for flight over populated areas), I think it is reasonable to avoid a huge flight path deviation.
If you are low and the deviation would be only a couple of miles (around a town like New Ulm) then a deviation makes sense.