RV Wannabe

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

I have been considering purchasing a flying -4 for a little while. Ok, ok about 18 years. Give me a break 4 furloughs make it hard to save.:eek:

I have some questions if you don't mind.

Looking at sale ads and panel pictures I notice they are all over the map. From fantastic glass, straight forward IFR steam guages, to down right horrible by ignoring the standard placement of flight instruments.

How much does the back of the panel dictate where instruments go? If a person purchased an airplane that competely ignored the 6 pack concept could it be rearranged to be "proper"?

How much of this is personal choice, V.S. put it where it fits?

I have also seen a placard on a -4 that stated aerobatics and spins prohibited. Must be operated in the normal category.

Aren't all RV's aerobatic? Is it because it was not done in the flight tests for the sign off? If it was not done then could it be done after the fact and approved once purchased? Is there any other reason for one not to be approved?

As far as Lycomings go, are there certain ones that are definately not approved for Mogas? I have read that Lycoming did some reversing of opinion and has approved mogas. Is it only for certain ones, or all and not everyone knows about it yet? I was told by a seller that his angle valve IO360 could not burn it, but I know O320's can. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Does the closeness of the canopy bother any of your passengers? I showed my girlfriend a -4 and told her I wished my C-140 would magically turn into one and she said she would be clostrophobic in it because of the canopy being right there. Of course she said she would not mind the -6.:(

I'll leave the questions at that for now.

Thanks
Mark

Welcome Mark!!! I'll take a stab at some of these.

How much does the back of the panel dictate where instruments go? If a person purchased an airplane that competely ignored the 6 pack concept could it be rearranged to be "proper"?

How much of this is personal choice, V.S. put it where it fits?

You can usually get things pretty close to a standard 6 pack. Although if panel space is limited, glass panels are actually cheaper than steam gauges with a vacuum pump. Welcome to the experimental world!

I have also seen a placard on a -4 that stated aerobatics and spins prohibited. Must be operated in the normal category.

Aren't all RV's aerobatic? Is it because it was not done in the flight tests for the sign off? If it was not done then could it be done after the fact and approved once purchased? Is there any other reason for one not to be approved?

All of the 2 seat RVs except for the 9 and 10 were designed to be aerobatic. The 3 can be utility category or aerobatic category depending on the wing. It's complicated.

That said, there are two likely reasons the plane you saw had the no aerobatics placard.

1- If the operating limitations forbid aerobatics, then they are forbidden. Essentially some people don't let the inspector know they want to do aerobatics and so the proper verbiage never makes into the operating limitations. I believe this is very hard to fix after the fact.

2- Aerobatics were not done in phase one testing. This can be remedied by placing the aircraft back into phase one, completing the testing, making the proper entry into the aircraft logbook, and placing the aircraft back in phase two. You may need to coordinate with the local FSDO to do this, I'm not sure.

Does the closeness of the canopy bother any of your passengers? I showed my girlfriend a -4 and told her I wished my C-140 would magically turn into one and she said she would be clostrophobic in it because of the canopy being right there. Of course she said she would not mind the -6.:(

My RV-8 is the least claustrophobic airplane I have ever been in. Every passenger that has been in it agrees. You can't tell the canopy is there--the best way I know to describe a tandem RV is that it's like sitting on a bar stool in the sky.

I'll leave the Lycoming / mogas question to people with more experience than I have.

Regards,
Guy

Facts, figures and opinions

here's a couple.
I too looked at -4's they seem like a real bargain; you have to like taildraggers, and be aware of insurance etc.
You may find the lack of luggage room a problem, I know I carry a LOT of stuff with me, before I bring baggage.

I only flew in a -6a and a -9a before buying the -9a. It was pretty tight in the 6, and the 9 was only slightly better, but hey, I couldn't afford a -10!
I bump my head on the canopy all the time,and I'm under 5' 11", so be aware.....it gets kind of annoying flying in a permanent hunch.

try them all before you buy. Get your lady into them, even on the ground, and have her sit there a good long time.

I'll let the experts comment on mogas etc., although I did like the idea that my old low compression 0-320 could burn mogas, although I've not verified that yet!

Welcome, Mark.....

...to the wonderful world of RV's and VAF:)

We took the panel out of my buddy's -4 and replaced everything with ONE D-180, with a 496 below it in an Airgizmos mount and a backup AS indicator and it's really clean, no vacuum pump.

Briansdash.jpg

My wife also will not fly in "that hole back there", so be sure that your significant other is happy.

Best,

Last edited:
RV-4

Mark

Has your girlfriend been up in a 4, if not, a friend of mine has a 4 at Morris and I am sure he would be happy to take her up. We also have an 8 on the field and my 7 I would be glad to take her up in. If your not in an EAA chapter you should consider 95 at Morris we have a pretty active Chapter and several RV's either flying or building. We have our next meeting on the 16th at the airport fell free to stop out. 7:30 or earlier for rides. Call me some time, I'm in Shorewood also.
815-210-5840

Thanks everyone for the insight.

Pete. Thanks for the invite. I have a wierd work schedule, so I will not be able to make the meeting you mentioned. I get back in country on the 24th. I work 6 weeks on 6 weeks off now. So maybe the next meeting will work if they are monthly. I will google the chapter, I didn't know it was there. I did stop into one at LOT a few years ago. Flying an owners plane for him and noticed the meeting and crashed it. EAA folks are good people, and they had cookies! It might have been your buddies 4 that we saw at LOT for the pancake breakfast about a month ago. There was also a red (I think) 6, or 7, (I can't tell the difference yet) hopping rides.

Pierre. That D-180 looks nice. Google will be my next stop. I don't know much about the new glass avionics out there yet. IFR certification would not be a requriement for me, but nice to have.

Guy. Thanks for the certification info. I have no knowlege on stuff like that.

Thanks everyone.

Mark

Last edited: