deek

Well Known Member
I've built 2 LongEZ's, one moderately stock and one heavily modified. My glass fabrication skills are excellent but my sheet metal skills are terrible. One look at the baffling on my airplanes indicates i don't know how to rivet or bend aluminum :D

On an EZ one builds parts that don't show first, and as you build the structure your fab skills improve to rise with the criticality of the part you're building. With composites you can fix anything; it seems that sheet metal is completely intolerant of less than perfect work all the time, every time...or you throw it away. ??

How does one go about gaining metal skills from day-one to build a nice bird? My first EZ was a Wright Brothers Award winner but I'm not so concerned about building another show plane as building something safe to fly and be proud of. Honestly, I hate it when having to work on sheet metal parts on the EZ 'cuz I don't know what i'm doing and don't have the right tools.

Is the -14 beyond the scope of a first time metal bird builder? I am very comfortable with systems installation, canopy, wiring, engine, etc - but the sheet metal work scares me.

Thanks in advance!

deek

Last edited:
Seems like you're an expert on what most RV builders dread! Sheet metal skills acquire quickly. The pre-punched kits are not infallible but they sure make it easy. I suspect you will come to appreciate the metal work rapidly.

I'll make you a deal, you teach me composite work and I'll get you started with metal.

Find a local builder and borrow his/her rivet gun, a few bucking bars, and a handful of cleco's. Buy a few Van's practice kits and knock 'em together. I guarantee you'll do a passable job if you spend 30 minutes a day practicing for a week or two. It only gets better from there.

Metal work

The metal work can be quite frustrating for the very reasons you mention. It is unforgiving of mistakes. It sounds like you have already set your standards high (which is a good thing), but realize that no matter how hard you try you will probably have a ding or two. Even if you don't slip, your bucking partner will. It's all just part of the process.

To improve your skills, just order a tail kit and get started.

I had no sheet metal experience at all, but I read about it and got the hang of it with a bit of practice. And, today, there are youtube videos to show you how. As with anything, it takes a bit of practice. And while fiberglass is excellent in some areas, you will find metal is excellent in others.

Take an EAA class ... one weekend and you're very competent! I had a great time doing mine. I've found the glassing to be more time consuming and error prone than the sheet metal work. You can't generally fix your mistakes with the metal parts, however, they're a lot less gooey, and with some care, everything fits well. A rivet gun, well applied, is fun. A pneumatic squeezer is heaven!

As other posters have said, you can trade your glassing skills or 2, 3, or 4 "expert instructors" in the metal arts. I'm doing the glass work now on my empennage, and find the 24 hour cure cycle frustrating. However, I do like the quality and workability of good quality epoxy ... way better than the 5 min hardware store stuff I've used in the past.