Tom McCutcheon

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any first hand information on the difference it made when you changed from the old style wheel pants on a -4 to the new style pants? Primarily speed?

Also can you give me a rating on a scale of 1 to 10 of the difficulty of this project.

My existing wheel pants are too low in the back and a bit worse for wear. I figured that if I was going to refinish and re-mount them I might as well put the new ones on. It would also seem easier with the wheel pant split front to back to mark and drill the holes for the inside bracket to wheel pant - is this true?

Any other unsuspecting difficulties I should be aware of?

Thanks
Tom McCutcheon

Need 4 Speed...

Tom, At least five of my friends have converted their RV4's from the stock to the "Dolly Parton" style. My buddy Hollywood Hansen claimed a 5-7 knot increase immediately. I helped a friend do a complete conversion from stock to a Sam James plenum, cowl and wheelpants. He claimed 8 knots but I could still whip him flat out with my stock RV4 and a Warnke prop (at that time), much to his dismay. The drawback for me on the pants is I land on a rough grass strip and the lower ground clearance is unacceptable for my operations. Otherwise the new pants are a winner.

Smokey