MSFT-1

Well Known Member
I got this from a friend who works with some of the dev guys at SPOT.

"A new edition of the SPOT Satellite Messenger has been announced today, updating the successful first-generation device with many new features. The SPOT, an emergency communications device, has been credited with over 250 rescues to date.
This new version seems to have tackled nearly every weakness of the original. Key improvements are:
? An improved chipset and antenna for better reception under canopy
? A GPS acquisition light
? A ?message sending? indicator light
? Illuminated buttons
? Protective covers over SOS and Help buttons to prevent accidental transmission
The new edition is also 30% smaller and lighter, weighing in at 5.2 ounces. A new custom message button lets you send out a pre-programmed message (this is in addition to the ?OK? button found on current models).
No word on price yet, but the new model is expected to be available later this fall."

And here's a picture:
spot-gps-tracker.jpg

I'm hoping one of you Osh attendees can get more details (i.e. pricing.)

Signal Frequency

I understood that the Spot signal was too infrequent to use for good continous tracking on the web. Something like every 2-5 minutes which is a long time at 170 knots. The home built units apparently can be set to update every 10 seconds or so.

Anybody have any details on the Spot? Is the update time OK or adjustable?

Bill S
7a

I understood that the Spot signal was too infrequent to use for good continous tracking on the web. Something like every 2-5 minutes which is a long time at 170 knots. The home built units apparently can be set to update every 10 seconds or so.

Anybody have any details on the Spot? Is the update time OK or adjustable?

Spot is every ten minutes, but has a 911 button for a near instantaneous GPS position report if really needed. This is e-mailed, as well as cell phone calls to people on your list. The 911 button would need to be pushed though. It also has the I'm Ok button to let people know.

I like SPOT because I don't do anything but push the buttons. It's portable & doesn't have to be wired to anything. The ten minute intervals still provide a good track for cross country flights, although it could increase the distance between points to 30 miles or so. It also uses GPS and satellites which have been very dependable for almost the year that I've owned one.

L.Adamson