SteinAir

Well Known Member
Hi All,

For those who aren't able to make it to OSH, here is some info on a new Mode S transpodner from Dynon:

http://www.dynonavionics.com/downloads/Brochures/SV-XPNDR-ARINC_WebBrochure.pdf

Appears to be a really nice little box with future capability for ADSB and TIS. Priced starting at $1800 and it's SMALL! :)

Anyway, another neat product by the folks from Dynon.

Additionally, their eagerly anticipated ARINC Converter has been announced for fall of this year.

Well, have a great weekend and we'll see ya'll at OSH!

Cheers,
Stein

Sweet....new toys!!

Looks like the Skyview platform is destined to be a force to be reckoned with!

Saving pennies now for the panel upgrade in about 5 years....paint comes first, paint comes first, paint comes first, I have to keep telling myself that!!

Thanks Stein!

Here is the whole announcement:

Dynon is announcing three new SkyView hardware modules at Oshkosh. Visit us in Building D, Booths 4053-4054-4055 to see them first-hand.

First are two Mode-S transponders. The new SV-XPNDR-261 and SV-XPNDR-262 add traffic information, and are the lowest priced Mode-S transponders on the market. They fully integrate into the SkyView System, with no additional panel space required for a separate control panel. At less than 1 pound, these small and power efficient hardware modules can be mounted anywhere in the airplane.

The new transponders meet the USA and European ADS-B OUT mandates. They also allow USA TIS traffic displayed on the SkyView map and synthetic vision displays.

The SV-XPNDR-261 is a Class 1 Mode-S transponder, meeting the requirements for flights above 15,000? and greater than 175 knots. At only $2,200 it is ideal for high performance experimental aircraft. The SV-XPNDR-262 is a Class 2 Mode-S transponder for flights below 15,000 feet and less then 175 knots, and at only $1,800 it is the ideal choice for Light Sport aircraft. Both these prices continue the Dynon tradition of delivering the highest quality products at the lowest prices.

We are also introducing the new SkyView SV-ARINC-429 Adapter Module, which delivers on the promise to make SkyView compatible with certified GPS receivers, integrating with radios such as the Garmin 430/530. This includes advanced features that IFR pilots demand, such as GPS steering, CDI auto-scaling and vertical guidance information from WAAS-enabled GPS receivers. This Module also enables the full suite of G430/530 VOR and localizer functionality. With the addition of this module, SkyView eliminates the need to install a conventional CDI/GS head for the Garmin 430/530.

And at only $475, the SV-ARINC-429 adds this capability at a Dynon price.

These three new SkyView Modules will be available for delivery in the Fall of 2010.

-Robert
Dynon Marketing

Honestly, weather is not going to be this year. We hope to get another really nice update to the map, and then add weather to it after that.

And just to clarify something, this transponder brings us USA traffic via TIS right away with the transponder, not in a future software update. We don't have it 100% coded up yet, but we do expect to be able to pull traffic from other devices as well even if you don't have our transponder.

outstanding, dynon is staying at top of my list for avionics, hoping the weather will be in place by the time i get to that phase

Supporting UATs that can receive FIS-B is something we'll investigate when we do weather. That's a natural progression for a system like this, so you will see support someday, we just can't say when right now.

Looks great

It would be great if I could use it with my GNS-480. The 480 was designed to work with a remote transponder (the SL-70 which is no longer available).

If I could replace my GTX-327 with this unit and get traffic, I'd do it today.

Last edited:
Which unit should I buy?
My first impression is that this will work great. I am building a 9A, Is the lower priced transponder suitable for the 9A? The 9 does not go faster than 175 knots and I doubt if I will ever fly over 15,000 feet.
Opinions?
Thanks
Greg

NICE!!!

I like it! My question is when the com will be available? For most of us this will complete the suite. It sure will leave me a lot of free panel space :D
cheers..
Evan
evansaviationproducts.com

Greg,
You can legally put the class 2 in your 9A as long as you don't fly above 15,000 feet. But if you do put one in, you need to make 15K ft an operating limitation of your plane.

OK, time to capitulate. Just send Dynon all of your money for your panel! Eliminating the transponder from the panel leaves more room for a second EFIS. Very clever. Now, about that comm... (sound of cracking whip).

Actually, I'm a bit concerned about the god-box problem. Should a failure occur, everything quits! Independent systems have their value by isolating failures. I'd like to see the tech specs on the transponder to determine the failure modes should the EFIS and/or SV network fail.

When can we expect the specs?

V

Not sure what specs you want.

The transponder is an RS-232 serial device. SkyView supports redundancy with serial ports, so if you have two or more SkyView screens, only one needs to be working for the transponder to work. Yes, this sounds odd, but SkyView has the ability to have two RS-232 TX ports hooked together.

Most people already use a Dynon EFIS for the altitude encoder with a standalone transponder, so it's already very tied to the Dynon EFIS units already.

By certification requirements, the transponder will stop transmitting with 2 seconds of losing the serial feed. So it does absolutely require a SkyView to be working for the transponder to work.

The whole setup works for the G1000, and they lock up a lot more often than SkyView ;)

Not sure what specs you want.

...Yes, this sounds odd, but SkyView has the ability to have two RS-232 TX ports hooked together.

The whole setup works for the G1000, and they lock up a lot more often than SkyView ;)

The specs sure would be nice to see the serial port wiring to the SV units and the WAAS GPS connection. If it depends on the SV wire-or'ing RS-232 TX lines together (with a proprietary tri-state system), then that's still a problem for single-point failure compared to redundant serial inputs.

Most of the questions will be answered when an interface spec is published.

V

p.s. Nice counterpunch by Dynon against Garmin in the EFIS wars.

Lockups?

Now that is a provocative statement.

Do you have actual data on this? What is the average number of lockups per 100 hours for the G1000 and for the Skyview?

--Paul

When using two Skyviews, only one serial port is used on the transponder module. The SkyViews tri-state.

A TSO-C146A GPS hooks via serial right to the transponder. If you aren't using a certified WAAS GPS, there is no need for this.

We don't currently have plans to publish the RS-232 comms spec.

I was only kidding around about the G1000, and didn't mean to start anything. I have heard of G1000's locking up in flight before (and you can too, just google it), but we have yet to hear of this happening even once with a SkyView. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened or never will. The main point here is that the transponder controlled by a PFD is far from a new idea, it's something the G1000 has done for years, and the G1000 is far from perfect and bug free.

Van's listening?

Hope that the great folks at Van's will become aware of this and will offer the SKYVIEW and this new Dynon equipment for the RV-12.

I think that this upgrade of the RV-12 panel will sell like - well, you know what I mean! Can you imagine the RV-12 with two SKYVIEWS and this transponder. I'll happily pay for that.

I'd gladly pay for the ability to have nothing more than two SkyView screens in my yet-to-be-started 9A.

The transponder that Dynon's released, coupled with the entire SkyView concept and layout, has all but ensured any RV that I build will be Dynon-equipped, but the ability to have nothing but the two 10" screens certainly adds to the "coolness" factor.

The alternative is a trio of G3X screens, with a G430, and GTX327......

skyview price

Inside the front page of the august sport aviation, Dynon has an advertisement that lists the 10" skyview at $4800. Dynon's website still lists it at $3600. Did the price just make a big jump or does the $4800 include the Adahrs?

Larry- $4,800 includes the ADAHRS. I wanted to fairly compare the price to the D10A and D100, which have the sensors built in. I may be in marketing :) , but I strive to be open and above board with our pricing and product information.
-Robert
Dynon Marketing

OK, here's the deal: A 1090ES transponder can only provide ADS-B Out information.

To receive traffic information (and for that matter, weather), a UAT receiver (or TCAS for traffic) is required. This is a new function not included with Dynon's transponder. However, the forthcoming UAT boxes are transceivers, thus satisfying the legal requiremenst for ADS-B Out without a 1090 ES transponder.

So what's the point of a 1090ES transponder (like Garmin and now Dynon) provide? Well, for one thing, 1090ES is the only standard support outside of the USA (for now), and it's cheap to provide the capability in a transponder.

UAT is a US-only standard, but provides significant capability in the cockpit as mentioned above and is target to General Aviation. It can't be used for ADS-B Out at the flight levels, however.

Both standards will require an IFR-certified GPS receiver... and that's where the big bucks reside.

Sooo... there's got to be more boxes on the Dynon roadmap: A UAT Transceiver (or possibly a Receive-only for traffic and weather). Also, an IFR-certified GPS module that meets the ADS-B Out requirements. Throw in a Comm box and a coffee maker and we're done. Well, almost. I think we need a 3" Skyview EFIS as well.

See how easy it is to spend Dynon's R&D dollars? I pity the marginal players in the EFIS arms race!

V

What does "USA TIS traffic" mean for non USA customers, can we see the traffic too? :confused:

No.
Unless you are flying close to an airport that broadcasts TIS in the U.S. you do not see traffic. This is not to be confused with TCAS.

Wait for implementation of ADS-B which eventually will be pretty much World-wide. This will give you traffic anywhere as well as WX and other information useful to the average aviator. This should also replace TIS in the U.S.

You can find more information about this transponder and what it can do at www.trig-avionics.com. Effectively you are looking at the TT21 and TT22. It's a good transponder but no different to a basic mode-a/c if you are not in a country that has mode-s implemented.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

TIS and ADS-B (which includes the TIS-B and FIS-B traffic and weather services) can get a bit confusing. We posted this post to our blog the other day to get some knowledge out there about them and how they relate to our recent announcement. It doesn't cover everything, but there's enough there to hopefully straighten some of the confusion out.

Mike Schofield
Dynon Marketing

TIS and ADS-B (which includes the TIS-B and FIS-B traffic and weather services) can get a bit confusing. We posted this post to our blog the other day to get some knowledge out there about them and how they relate to our recent announcement. It doesn't cover everything, but there's enough there to hopefully straighten some of the confusion out.

Mike Schofield
Dynon Marketing

Any idea if you going to support TCAS?

We aren't working on a TCAS device, and didn't have any plans to interface with one under the assumption that they are $10K+ certified devices that no homebuilder would install. Are there affordable TCAS transceivers out there?

I think you might be missunderstanding Rudi's question.
I think he wants to know if your optional ARINC box can interface to TCAS data streams a'la ARINC 735 which are not just generated by actual TCAS devices but by other pieces of equipment as well (for example Navworks traffic which is actually ADS-B but can be sent via an ARINC 735 TCAS file). I'm pretty sure your ARINC box should be able to do it.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

We aren't working on a TCAS device, and didn't have any plans to interface with one under the assumption that they are $10K+ certified devices that no homebuilder would install. Are there affordable TCAS transceivers out there?