DonFromTX

Well Known Member
While I was checking out BrownTool catalog (a VAF advertiser) , I was struck by the page title "WERA Diamond coated Insert bits". Wow, fancy tools are good, and I envisioned the bling of sparkling diamonds flashing in the light as I screwed in a screw!
http://www.browntool.com/Default.as...ield=ProductName,ProductNumber&productid=2314
Not quite, but as I read, I realized I had never heard of this, tiny diamonds on the bit surface to keep the bit in the screw better! Could that really work? I ordered a few (not sure how long the diamonds stay stuck to the bits) since they were not expensive, and cannot believe how well they work. Makes one lazy, now you don't have to put your whole body weight into keeping the bit in the screw slot, and I can see that wallowed out screw slots are a thing of the past as well..
They also make a "lasertip" screwdriver, I will try one of them out on my next order..

WERA is good stuff. I have a screwdriver set from them that is bullet proof....use them as chisels kind if bullet proof. I also have the bits and really like them a lot. Great tools...what American steel used to be.

... Makes one lazy, now you don't have to put your whole body weight into keeping the bit in the screw slot, and I can see that wallowed out screw slots are a thing of the past as well....

I've never tried it myself, but I have heard that applying a dab of valve lapping compound to the tip of the bit has a similar effect.

I use the valve grinding compound trick too. Doesn't last long, but is easy to reapply. Be interesting to see how long the diamonds stay on.