Chkaharyer99

Well Known Member
Friend
Greetings All,

This site is very inspiring, thank you all who contribute. I've spent countless hours researching and learning about RV's. I am ready to commit but need help deciding.

Question 1: Is the RV8 and/or RV7 an aircraft you would recommend for a new pilot?

Question 2: is there anyone out there with a flying RV8 and/or RV7 around the Sacramento, California area who is willing to give me a ride (I will pay for fuel)?

Background: Male, 49 years old, married, three adult children, employed with about 4-5 years until retirement; private pilot certificate is a work in progress. I have taken an RV builders class. Signed up with EAA. I know I could do this. I like the RV8 the most but also like the RV7.

My wife and I went to Osh Kosh for the first time this year to see Air Venture, amazing. We visited the Vans booth and sat in the RV7. We wanted to sit in a RV8 but they didn?t have one.

Thank you,
Charlie Rogers
Pilot Hill, CA

Greetings All,

This site is very inspiring, thank you all who contribute. I've spent countless hours researching and learning about RV's. I am ready to commit but need help deciding.

Question 1: Is the RV8 and/or RV7 an aircraft you would recommend for a new pilot?...

The RVs are high performance aircraft which means things can happen in a hurry. Did low time pilots fly P51s? Yes, with intense training. Do a lot of low time pilots fly RVs? Yes, and some do their training in them.

My recommendation is to get some experience in a Cherokee, or Cessna 172 class airplane before moving on to an RV-7 or RV-8.

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF!!!!

Charlie, welcome aboard VAF:D

I live in Cameron Park, come on over and take a look at my RV 10.

There is a RV 7 in Georgetown, you might want to take a look at, belongs to Rick Todd, folks at the airport will know him, and contact for him.

We have a neighbor with an RV 7 just getting finished up, currently over at Lincoln for inspection, and flight test phase.

You came to the right place for things RVish, that is for sure.

Enjoy the ride!!

Low time is relative. I was rusty and not huge hours. I did have a relative range of slower aircraft. The key to my flying an RV-8 was transition training. My first couple hours were "intersting". It took a few hours to catch up to the performance of the RV.

I feel it is within many pilots' capacity. Training is the key.

You might want to have a round of RV training now to get a feel for the experience. It will be both educationa and fun.

Welcome to the fold!

Welcome Charlie! Being green pilot and low timer myself I can tell you - you can not go wrong with any RV. Just plan and calculate really good before ordering any hardware. Strong commitment required.

PS If you somehow make it to our woods you can get a ride in a 7 easy :D

"The RVs are high performance aircraft which means things can happen in a hurry. Did low time pilots fly P51s? Yes, with intense training. Do a lot of low time pilots fly RVs? Yes, and some do their training in them."

"My recommendation is to get some experience in a Cherokee, or Cessna 172 class airplane before moving on to an RV-7 or RV-8."

Thanks for the input. Makes sense. Training is the key. Especially in type. I'll continue to work on my PPL flying the Cherokee. Gain time and experience and make the leap to start a kit. I sure would like to fly in each of them to make the final decision.

Mike S, thanks for the invite and info on the RV7 up in Georgetown. Not far from me. I'll see if I can connected.

Glen and VLAD, thank you for your input.

Charlie

Mike S, thanks for the invite and info on the RV7 up in Georgetown. Not far from me. I'll see if I can connected.

Glen and VLAD, thank you for your input.

Charlie

There are also 3 flying RV7s at PVF, and an 8 under construction.

There is an EAA meeting at the airport this Wed evening.

Click the link in my signature block.

Welcome

Nice to meet you and good luck with the one you choose, they are all good.

Bird

Greetings All,

Question 1: Is the RV8 and/or RV7 an aircraft you would recommend for a new pilot?

Question 2: is there anyone out there with a flying RV8 and/or RV7 around the Sacramento, California area who is willing to give me a ride (I will pay for fuel)?

Background: Male, 49 years old, married, three adult children, employed with about 4-5 years until retirement; private pilot certificate is a work in progress. I have taken an RV builders class. Signed up with EAA. I know I could do this. I like the RV8 the most but also like the RV7.

My wife and I went to Osh Kosh for the first time this year to see Air Venture, amazing. We visited the Vans booth and sat in the RV7. We wanted to sit in a RV8 but they didn?t have one.

Thank you,
Charlie Rogers
Pilot Hill, CA

I'm in sort of the same state, but a bit older. I'm retired from the Air Force and work another job. I'm building an -8 since I'll probably fly alone most of the time, and the cockpit is just a bit wider than half of a -7. I figure that during the time I'm building my RV8 I'll be putting time in a C-172 since that's what the flying club here has (mostly) or a PA-26. I'll be working on my instrument rating. In addition, there's an aerobatic school in my future (downstream) run by Greg Koontz a bit south of me here in Alabama. For less than three grand he'll teach you 8 aerobatic maneuvers and provide you with nice accommodations while doing it. And the folks that have gone through it say it significantly improves your airplane handling skills. So, while the RV is in work, I'll keep flying and keep learning, as well as spend time with the RV builder's group here. Occasionally do something nice for my wife or else she'll make working on anything a nightmare.

I'm in sort of the same state, but a bit older. I'm retired from the Air Force and work another job. I'm building an -8 since I'll probably fly alone most of the time, and the cockpit is just a bit wider than half of a -7. I figure that during the time I'm building my RV8 I'll be putting time in a C-172 since that's what the flying club here has (mostly) or a PA-26. I'll be working on my instrument rating. In addition, there's an aerobatic school in my future (downstream) run by Greg Koontz a bit south of me here in Alabama. For less than three grand he'll teach you 8 aerobatic maneuvers and provide you with nice accommodations while doing it. And the folks that have gone through it say it significantly improves your airplane handling skills. So, while the RV is in work, I'll keep flying and keep learning, as well as spend time with the RV builder's group here. Occasionally do something nice for my wife or else she'll make working on anything a nightmare.

Jay, Thank you for your service to our country.

Looks like you're double dipping (job), might do that myself. You have a firm plan there building while your getting your getting your instrument rating and looking forward to advanced training. That will keep you motivated. That validates what I was thinking. I just wanted to hear it from someone else. Thanks for the input.

I get your statement about the wife. Mine says she'll follow me anywhere, so I figured she could do that best from the back seat. She's the best.

How far long are you with your project? Do you have a web site that documents your progress? If so, I will check it out. Thanks again for your perspective.

Charlie

Welcome to this is site....

I built my rv6 with no experience, but with many watchful eyes. It is still the only airplane I have ever flown. Now have approx 150 hrs. Not easy, but can be done. Good luck.

I built my rv6 with no experience, but with many watchful eyes. It is still the only airplane I have ever flown. Now have approx 150 hrs. Not easy, but can be done. Good luck.

Mark,

Another great story. I was hoping to find someone who took such a leap. Was it difficult to find an instructor to teach you in an RV6?. Any regrets doing it that way?

Charlie, there is an instructor at Placerville who is experienced in RVs. Doesnt matter which end the steering is on.

He is also the prez of the EAA chapter.

Hal Stephens, if you want to talk to him, send me a PM and I will give you his phone number.

Did you go to the chapter meeting last Wednesday??

Probably not the best way.........

Mark,

Another great story. I was hoping to find someone who took such a leap. Was it difficult to find an instructor to teach you in an RV6?. Any regrets doing it that way?

It was very tough, although I had people like Dennis McCright, Paul Dye, Bud Warren, among others constantly looking at the airplane. I did this build & PPL as a therapy for losing my brother in an ap accident. The real find & "Best of the Best" is Rich Jankowski, he could teach a drunk monkey to fly.

He is builder of several RV's, test pilot for Continential and an A&P, IA, CFII. He just walked into my hangar one day looking at my plane. I was very frustrated with it, he gave me advice on finishing it, did the phase I, then taught me how to fly it.

I have always looked at Rich coming into my life as God sent. Without that caliber of person, it is a practical impossibility. Stick to the 172 and then transition. Good Luck.

The real find & "Best of the Best" is Rich Jankowski, he could teach a drunk monkey to fly.

He is builder of several RV's, test pilot for Continential and an A&P, IA, CFII. He just walked into my hangar one day looking at my plane. I was very frustrated with it, he gave me advice on finishing it, did the phase I, then taught me how to fly it.

I have always looked at Rich coming into my life as God sent. Without that caliber of person, it is a practical impossibility. Stick to the 172 and then transition. Good Luck.

He is also pretty good with fiberglass, too bad his RV 10 stayed in Florida when he moved to Texas.

You need to bug him about building another 10.

7 or 8

Use the search tool on the site. There are a lot of discussions on which is better for what you want to do. The problem is - is that there is no difinitive answer to this question. I had the same question.

For me I have chosen the 8A. I did this because my location in Central Utah (u14) I have a 6000' paved runway at an uncontrolled airport. I like the visibility of the A better than the taildragger. Why the 8 over the 7. I want the centerline of thrust seating. I figure if my passenger want so see something, we can just go upside down. LOL.

Passengers- Likely that it won't be that often. Size, the 8 seems to be a better fit for big guys like myself. The biggest drawback I can see as to having and 8 is the lack of good heating for the rear passenger, but since I am the manufacturer of my plane, I will work to remedy that in a manner that I see fit.

There are several RVs in the Bay Area - not too far from you. Matt Drahll has an 8 in the Livermore area (it is a beautiful plane too). There are plenty 6 and 7 around as well. Just wait and see and you will find plenty of people willing to give you the RV smile ride.

Good Luck to you in your build!

Regarding Placerville EAA

Charlie, there is an instructor at Placerville who is experienced in RVs. Doesnt matter which end the steering is on.

He is also the prez of the EAA chapter.

Hal Stephens, if you want to talk to him, send me a PM and I will give you his phone number.

Did you go to the chapter meeting last Wednesday??

Mike,

Thanks for the info about the Placerville EAA chapter. I am a member of the Auburn EAA but only have attended one meeting. There didnt seem to be too many RV's. There was one completed -7A in the hanger where the meeting was held but I was told the owner rarely attends the meetings.

I put the Placerville EAA on my calender but have'nt attended there yet. It's pretty far for me. I'm on the east side of Folsom lake. If you think it would be worth while to go, I'll give it a try. That would give me a chance to meet you in person. Maybe you can give me the intro to Hal Stevens.

Hum, what is a PM? Duh! I see it... Private Message. Yes, please send his number. The meetings are Wednesday evening's right?

Thanks,

Charlie

Stick to the 172 and then transition

It was very tough, although I had people like Dennis McCright, Paul Dye, Bud Warren, among others constantly looking at the airplane. I did this build & PPL as a therapy for losing my brother in an ap accident. The real find & "Best of the Best" is Rich Jankowski, he could teach a drunk monkey to fly.

Chuck,

Very sorry about the loss of your brother. Understood on the advise regarding sticking with the 172. Thanks for your input.

By getting on this site, I am hope to connect to folks like "Dennis", "Paul", "Bud" and "Rich".

Charlie

Center Line Seating...

Use the search tool on the site. There are a lot of discussions on which is better for what you want to do. The problem is - is that there is no difinitive answer to this question. I had the same question.

For me I have chosen the 8A. I did this because my location in Central Utah (u14) I have a 6000' paved runway at an uncontrolled airport. I like the visibility of the A better than the taildragger. Why the 8 over the 7. I want the centerline of thrust seating. I figure if my passenger want so see something, we can just go upside down. LOL.

Passengers- Likely that it won't be that often. Size, the 8 seems to be a better fit for big guys like myself. The biggest drawback I can see as to having and 8 is the lack of good heating for the rear passenger, but since I am the manufacturer of my plane, I will work to remedy that in a manner that I see fit.

There are several RVs in the Bay Area - not too far from you. Matt Drahll has an 8 in the Livermore area (it is a beautiful plane too). There are plenty 6 and 7 around as well. Just wait and see and you will find plenty of people willing to give you the RV smile ride.

Good Luck to you in your build!

Great response.

More room for big guys + centerline seating + better performance + more efficient + looks cooler + holds more =

Thank you,

Charlie