CHA

Trying to back rivet rudder skin. Having difficulty reaching the trailing edge stiffener trailing rivets. What is the best technique? Thanks CHA

I recruited my better half for assistance with those. Had her pull the skin away while I ran the rivet gun.

Use two people and wood blocks

A second person is key to help hold the skin back enough to allow the rivet gun in there. I have also found that the long backrivet set helps reduce the strain of opening the skin. The trick is also to get the bottom skin nice and flat against the back rivet plate when installing the last two rivets towards the trailing edge as opening the skin wants it to bow. I have found holding down a couple pieces of oak on either side of the stiffener while back riveting does wonders. (Riveter holds one block and rivets, the person holding the skin has one hand on the skin and one hand on the other block). See my blog under elevators for a better description.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-s4WpCREgy7I/VU0v4bf5Z2I/AAAAAAAAAtA/teI4xuxLELw/s1600/IMG_2190.JPG

Last edited:
Your fine.

It is OK to pull the roll back out a little as you will be Breaking it down after you get it together and are ready to put it on the front flange. Some of us when by our selves just put a little rope on the side that we want to hold open and then stretch it out while we hold the side we wish to rivet down flat on the backing plate. Its just "O.J.T." you will get used to it.
Hope this helps. R.E.A. III #80888

Riveting

How about opening the bend enough to take the strain off the skin so it will lay flat with modest additional force while dimpling and riveting. Will the bend fatigue and crack with this maneuver? Thanks CHS

Sure

I don't always get the words right but that's what you wish to do, or hold it down with your free hand while you hit the rivet with your gun hand. It will only be the few, first or second row next to the rear bend that will give you a little push-back, as you work your way out of the corner it is no big deal at all. Just take a little extra time to get ever one of those up close to the rear roll set, then your off and running to the next "O.J.T." session. Yours as always, R.E.A. III #80888

I do the backriveting on the garage floor. That way I can use my knee, shoulder, head, whatever to hold the skin out of the way while my free hand holds the skin flat to the plate (important!). Pretty much what the others have said. Don't un-bend the trailing edge. You can curl the skin back enough to get in there. Thousands have gone before you.