music1

Just wanted to say hello am in Michigan and going to order a RV 12 and start building how big should you make a workbench for this project?

Welcome !!!!

Paul, welcome to the good ship VAF.

I cant help with the answer to your question, but I am pretty sure someone will get in here with the info.

Good to have you aboard.:D

Welcome

I bought 2 - 36" by 6' folding leg tables and put them end to end. They worked well for the wings. I also used them for the fuse and tail assembly. You need that much length, I feel. Some have used saw horses. Since the metal is fairly thin, I liked the idea of 2 table covered with old bed sheets for a little softness.

John Bender

Welcome new builder...

Hi Music1,

Regarding your question about a workbench; I made a roll-away style table 42" W X 8' L X 30" high. It has storage on a lower shelf for big items like skins. The table is big, but so are the wings.

519185078_kChLQ-L.jpg

There are more pictures of the table design and in action in my picture galleries below.

Tony

easy table

Paul, welcome to the site! Its invaluable as you know im sure. The EAA tables work great. In addition I have used two saw horses with a sheet a plywood then a sheet of drywall ontop. works great for scribbling notes, drawing figures whatever then when its worked over good just turn over and start again.

music1

The table top needs to have an overhang to clamp to. Size is a matter of personal preference. There is no right or wrong. My table is about 40 inches x 12 feet. A shelf underneath is handy for tools. I use another smaller bench for the dirty work. I live in Michigan too, about an hour away from Flint. You are welcome to come and see my project. Send me a private message for my address and phone number.
Joe

Hi where is your workshop located? I live in MI also and I have a large work table you are welcome to use untill you are done. The table is at Dalton airport.give me a call 810-691-1777 Jim

I am using two EAA tables and used four 8 foot heavy folding tables with moving pads for the wings. I noticed that my local Costco has the plastic 8 foot folding tables in stock for about $86 each.

I like most guys started with the plans for the "EAA" work tables then realized I wanted to be able to clamp stuff down, and wanted to utilize the materials a bit more efficiently... and for a couple dollars more with a couple of dimentional changes I could use all the lumber/plywood/MDF nearly perfectly and have two beefy tables and a third, strong but not beefy table... I put my dimpler on that one... (I was a building contractor for a few years, so I 'know' I can think of a better way :) )....

So I'd recommend you look them over and tweek them to your needs. I wish I had thought through putting some sort of castors on the feet to make them move easier and probably will retrofit one or two of them with castors.

And while I'm not a 12 builder I think you'll find that the EAA plans emphasize level and straight construction a bit more than you'll need on a pre punched aircraft like the 12... one thing the EAA plans will emphasize that I feel should be followed is glueing all joints... I personally used a finish nail gun to tack the glued joints together with titebond wood glue... then hit it with a couple of screws... went together a lot faster. Some of the bigger joints got a framing nailer nail or two then screws, and glue.

So far on my 10 about the only part I had to make sure the work surface was very straight and level on was the trailing edge of the rudder...

So if you are just starting out... start and move forward they don't have to be perfect you'll beat on them, prime them, drill them and more... Whatever you do, remember to enjoy!