clevtool

Well Known Member
rvtr4-large.jpg

Are you looking for a gift idea for an RV buddy?
Did your wife suggest that she would like a ring for Christmas?
If you order in the next couple days we can get it to you in time.

RV Builder John Rice has developed and manufactured a new tie down ring that looks much more appropriate than the implement store version.

They are now available for sale on our webstore at:
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RVTR4

rvtr4-alt2.jpg

Nice, really nice.

Just one question...is that price per unit...or per pair? I'm sure it 's per unit, but whew, hey! They're nice!

Update: Mike are they for the tail only or can they be used in the wings also?

Are they for use on all models of the RV or just some? While the info in the catalog gives a lot of data about the results of strength testing, it would appear to need a little info about the applications, i.e., RV-x, wings and tail, etc. Most folks probably don't know that FEA means Finite Element Analysis which is not a test but rather a sophisticated computer analysis.

Last edited:
They are sold individually, and can be used in tail and wings... so taildraggers could use 2 in the wings, tricycles would use three. They will fit all RVs with the standard 3/8-16 x 1" long thread.

Thanks for your comments, I will add some clarity right away.

But how well will they work has a tail skid?

Doug, I thought about adding a bolt, nut, and roller skate wheel just so tail dragger pilots could give them to their non-taildragger friends as a gag gift that converts into a real gift. Turns out the skate wheels are more expensive than the tie down rings!

I will ignore the anti-(A) hate speech. :)

How much faster is a plane with these than the stock tie-downs?

Mo better!

Mike, thumbs-up :D on the editting on the webstore description. Even a knucklehead like me can understand it now.

We will have to wait for some pireps on that. We can frame it between no change and the speed if they are removed. But just like the RV itself they look faster even when sitting still. ;)

Same exact speed.... you do unscrew them and stash them away in your baggage compartment when you're flying, and only screw them in once parked and tying down the aircraft don't you? ;)

Same exact speed.... you do unscrew them and stash them away in your baggage compartment when you're flying, and only screw them in once parked and tying down the aircraft don't you? ;)

Funny. That would require too much bending, squatting and other difficult moves. Have I mentioned how much I hate working in the back of the instrument panel on a 6A slider?

I am curious about what looks like a hole for a bolt perpendicular to the rope hole. Is that there for a reason? (Note that sometimes I do not care if I appear "slow")

Looks great! What's next Mike? How about retractable ones? Bunch of racers among us great market :D.

I'd bet the cross hole is so you can stick a screwdriver in there to help you turn it when you leave it in the airplane so long that it gets corroded in or something like that.

Looks like they'll whistle...

...at speed and their size will definitely create more drag than eyebolts.

I take mine out too.

Best,

Just sent the link to mama...wonder if I've been a good boy this year! ;)

Been wanting some stainless rings (the ones at West Marine are metric, and don't quite fit...AMHIK! :eek:)

Rings out, speed tape on! These look like they'd fit in the little pouch on that RV bag...heck, they'd drop right in a pocket!

Gotta test the whistle though...that could be fun too. New meaning to "Came whistling into the break!" (that's the cousin of "Came smokin' into the break"...but that's another thread!) :p

Cheers,
Bob

Doug, I thought about adding a bolt, nut, and roller skate wheel just so tail dragger pilots could give them to their non-taildragger friends as a gag gift that converts into a real gift. Turns out the skate wheels are more expensive than the tie down rings!

Dang. Too bad. :)

Who Flies With them?

when removing your tie down rings what kind of speed increase can you expect

Actually, a better question is, if you leave them on, how much do you lose?:p Most RV'ers I know only install them if they have to tie down, and fly without them 99% of the time...

That said, I have flown both with and without them, and any difference in speed is masked by how precisely you can fly a sped test.

Paul

Bob, you can whistle and smoke during the overhead approach.

pssst Ron...Overhead = Break in Navy vernacular (you probably already knew that, just being tongue in cheek)...but if there is a way to smoke and whistle into the break...I will find it! :D

when removing your tie down rings what kind of speed increase can you expect

It's either 2 knots per tie down or .000375 knots total. ;) Guess more testing is in order. By comparison, a well known exhaust maker saw my 2 TED antennas and told me that going to blades (ex CI-105) would get me a knot per antenna. I moved one to the glareshield (Monroy) and replaced the other (XPNDR) with a blade. Not sure how much it gained (did not have time or weather to do before and after testing), but I had my fastest two races after that change. No science to back this up this time though. However, a ball and a cylinder are two of the worst aerodynamic shapes, and on the RAMI site, the drag coefficient numbers are much lower for their blades than for their TEDs, so there might be something to LV's claim of a knot per antenna. What's that mean for these tiedowns...not sure, but I'll bet it might be measureable...barely (I saw Paul's post too, and it would be tough...but perhaps on a calm day...:rolleyes:)

Actually, a better question is, if you leave them on, how much do you lose?:p Most RV'ers I know only install them if they have to tie down, and fly without them 99% of the time...

That said, I have flown both with and without them, and any difference in speed is masked by how precisely you can fly a sped test.

Paul

Concur on the speed test precision. The other aspect is that it just looks so much cooler to have a slick wing...and ya gotta look cool! :p I only want my pitot tube out there...unless we come up with a weapons rail to launch flour bags or pumpkins from (like Tom Martin did!). Then again, these things are purty enough that if ya forgot and left them on, folks might come over and admire them (funny folks us pilots...easily impressed sometimes!)

Man, still hope mama thinks I was good this year! :)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Bob, do I need to call your wife and tell her that you really want these? If so, PM me with phone number, her name and how many you want. Also assume you want delivery by 24 December.

Thanks Ron! She asked me for the link again, so I may be OK. Will probably also buy a set for my neighbor that helps me fab or fix stuff all the time!

Sounds like there may be a run on these puppies at the store (not a bad thing at all!).

Will report on speeds required to get the whistle! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Got mine in today!

Wow these things look like jewelry. Just tell your wives they are for them for the plane....:D

They also fit the Bogart Jack extensions.

FinishKit%20380.jpg

FinishKit%20381.jpg

Here they are in the jack extension:

FinishKit%20382.jpg

Here it is installed in the wing:

FinishKit%20383.jpg

Here is in the jacked position:

What is the inner diameter of these new rings? I have been to quite a few airports that have pretty hefty tie down ropes and I would be concerned they would not fit these rings.

Same thing

I was thinking the same thing. They are so nice though I will just carry small rope that fits to make loops if necessary.