sprucemoose

Well Known Member
This is a new thread, started from this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=34116

Is there anyone aware of a single instance of anyone successfully getting out of a stricken RV in flight and parachuting to safety. This covers a lot of topics, like parachutes, tip up RVs, etc. Feel free to weigh in on whatever, but my basic question remains. In 10+ years of being involved in RVs, I cannot think of a single instance, but I'm hoping somebody else can.

Jeff,
I don't know of anyone ejecting from an RV in flight.
I have converted several tip-up RV-6s back to the original system without struts for customers who regularly do acro.

Whats the deal with the struts that make it hard to open the canopy? I've seen this mentioned several times but don't understand what the issue is (very interested in RVs but not building one - yet!)

thanks

Has anyone ever considered some kind of pin to hold the struts in instead of bolts? In an emergency, pull the pins, pull the canopy jettison, and jump? Some kind of thick pin (not a carter pin) like the ones that have the little ball at the end and you have to push a button to allow the ball to sink in thus allowing you to remove the pin... See them alot on military planes, but do not know what they are called...

Edit: Ball Lock Pins... thats what they're called!

Measuring.jpg

Last edited:
...Some kind of thick pin (not a carter pin) like the ones that have the little ball at the end and you have to push a button to allow the ball to sink in thus allowing you to remove the pin... See them alot on military planes, but do not know what they are called...
They are called Pip Pins.

Whats the deal with the struts that make it hard to open the canopy? ...snip

Makes it hard to jettison the canopy (gas struts are bolted on). Tip ups were initially designed to be jettisoned with a T handle on the panel (struts keep this from happening).

b,
d

...Is there anyone aware of a single instance of anyone successfully getting out of a stricken RV in flight and parachuting to safety...
Well, there is one person who got of an -8 that was on fire but he didn't have a parachute.

In talking with a friend with a slider -6, he once told me he took off with it open just a few inches and the air loads kept him from moving it forward or aft. He had to land to close it.

This leads me to believe that you aren't going to get a slider open.

As for the tip-up's and the struts. I figure if the air gets under the front of it, those struts are just going to pull right out. The trick is going to be getting the front of it up.

I'VE GOT IT!! Lets get Paul to get us some of those explosive bolts from work that they use on the space shuttle and put those on the front of the canopy to blow it open and catch the airflow! I'm sure NASA won't mind too much! Group buy?? :D

This leads me to believe that you aren't going to get a slider open.

I've heard this, too...although I'm not sure how true it is. Maybe the guy trying to close it was 80 years old. (No offense to the 80 year olds who read this!) :D

But, I have PIP pins installed in place of the bolts that attach the slider frame to the track-wheels. If worse comes to worse, the plan is to slide the canopy back as far as I can, pull the pins and push it straight up so I can bail. Of course, it sounds good in theory...

Ball retaining clips on lift struts

I don't have them there now, now for my test flying I tied dacron string under the clips that retain the ball on the lift strut. I made a nice handle loop. One nice tug for each lift strut, the they are free from the canopy. The T handle on my plane is under the sub panel, but I can still reach it.

Not sure if I could get out, but if something would have failed, I was gonna give it a try.

You might be right Sonny, I took off with my 9-A with the slider not latched and I could not move it up to latch. I didn't want to open it more. I had to land it to close it but then I am 72 years old going for 80. I believe I would have a good chance of beating you arm wresling even at that and I don't even know you.
Instead of putting down seniors you should hope to be one some day.
Keep on working so my SS check will keep coming so I can fuel up my 9-A. LOL

Even it you did manage to get out, don't forget you still need to save your life by pulling. A skydive might be good, " what if " training. OOps !!another addictive habit.

Instead of putting down seniors you should hope to be one some day.

Hey now, I said "no offense"! :D I truly didn't mean to put anyone down, but I know how fragile you get when you pass up 40. LOL...just kidding again! I've got to get my licks in because I'm paying SS and I don't think there'll be any left when I get ready to collect. :p

Seriously now....

.......RV's are simply not prone to losing their wings. More than likely why we don't hear of anyone baling.

I owned a T-6 and learned to jump since you needed a seatpack for the aluminum bucket/military style seat. Jumping without training can be deadly as well.

Regards,

Only once I found myself in the sky with my slider open about 2". I could not get it closed or able to move it. I had to slow to just stall speed to get it to close. I do not think I could get it open if I had to.

As for the tip-up's and the struts. I figure if the air gets under the front of it, those struts are just going to pull right out. The trick is going to be getting the front of it up.
That's my take on it too. Get air underneath the front, and SOMETHING will break. My guess is the ends of the struts, but I haven't looked at any closely yet.

Opening canopy and then parachuting to saftey....

Hmmmm... How about a very small parachute and some very strong cables that gets deployed into the windstream and rips the canopy right off! Sounds a bit violent to me, but it could work. Keep your heads down! Maybe put the cable release down low where you have to bend forward and low to find, get at and pull to release.

Just thinking...out in the airstream.

Sincerely
63scrounger

If you ain't got no chute, its moot

This is a new thread, started from this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=34116

Is there anyone aware of a single instance of anyone successfully getting out of a stricken RV in flight and parachuting to safety. This covers a lot of topics, like parachutes, tip up RVs, etc. Feel free to weigh in on whatever, but my basic question remains. In 10+ years of being involved in RVs, I cannot think of a single instance, but I'm hoping somebody else can.
Well its a moot point if you don't wear a chute or can't get the canopy open. So you have a chute the question is can you get out of a RV. Yes (qualified):

Egress of different RV models:

A pilot in a RV-8 with a catastrophic engine failure over Oregon bailed out. Sadly he had no chute. After opening the canopy, the oil/fuel engine fire and smoke was getting into the cockpit. Apparently the pilot felt getting out was better than riding it down. The autopsy I recall showed the pilot only had minor singe of the face but no major fire related injuries. If he had a chute he most likely would have survived. May be if you have a fire keep the canopy closed? I suspect the RV-3 should be like the RV-8 and possible to get out of in-flight.

In another case a RV-4 flip over canopy departed the plane in flight accidentally. They landed with out incident. The RV-4 flip over canopy is made to rip off if opened in flight. In another case a RV-4 canopy flew off on the ground while taxing on grass; he gave it lots of power get going. The canopy was in a partial open position, with a taxi position latch. The latch popped open. The air just from the prop wash was enough to make the canopy fly off. With great surprise little damage was done and it was reused.

The RV-6/7 tip-ups with the ejection handle should make that canopy come off with little effort. The RV-6/7 slider canopy is thought (conjecture) to be too hard to open in flight. There have been no intentional or accidental in-flight openings I know of. The common wisdom is have front roller pins that can be pulled. The C-152 Aerobat has door pins to pull for bailout with a cable lanyard to that goes into the cockpit.

The RV-10 and RV-9 are not aerobatic and not really made to bail out, but I assume the RV-9 and 6/7 are close enough. The RV-10?

Opinion: Just because no one has bailed out does not mean a Chute in a sport acro plane like a RV is not a groovy thing. There is no doubt it can save your life. Frankly wearing chutes is the law if you do dual aerobatics. Personally I feel naked with out a chute doing aerobatics. I make full control deflections and put higher G's on the airframe. I could have a control jam or something could fail (more likely doing acro the straight and level). The case of the massive engine failure (connecting rod hanging out engine) causing fuel and oil to ignite is a night mare of every pilot, as is any in-flight fire. May be an active fire suppression system in the cowl might be money well spent, but its rare. The Sport Chute expert that I recommend to guys all the time is Allen Silvers (his site has lots of articles and info)

http://www.silverparachutes.com/ask_allen.html

I have gone to his seminars and he specializes in parachutes for pilots, gliders and aerobatics. He has some stories of guys that had a chute and wore their chute mostly. Well one day they flew and had either an airframe, control jam or fire, but their chute was in the hanger.

Folks want to put those ballistic chutes on their airframe but there is a simple solution. It is like insurance. You don't like paying for it and hope it is money wasted (ie never have to make a claim), you'll be glad to have it. THERE HAVE BEEN MANY MANY SUCCESSFUL BAIL OUTS, JUST NOT IN RV's.

Last edited:
Looks like the answer to the original question is ....... NO.

If we go back and ask how many could have if chutes were worn on all flights ever flow in RVs, the number is probably in the single digits. Except of course, if you limited the sample to Nose wheel, car engine powered, Rattle can primered, RVs. :eek:

Jusssst kidding :D

I don't worry about it that much. I don't plan on wearing a shoot....ever.. aerobatics or not. Getting the canopy open would just add to my anxiety beside it just wasting time. Soooo pretty much let me just say right here right now, It's been good chattin with Ya'll. Beside that, whatever happened to flying it to the ground? I'd hate to live only to have killed someone cause my plane spun into some house somewhere. I hope to die in my sleep, I really prefer that to most options, but in my limited experience with one crash landing you're not going to be thinking about getting your butt out of the plane. It's going to be more like, :eek: How am I going to smear some lipstick on this pig. Sure we all think we're going to be cool, calm and collected but in reality.........well not cool and calm anyway.

About that crash landing; I was more danger to the tow plane pilot, since I left him at ground level, than I was to myself. I ended up at about 50' AGL with no forward speed and a bunch of sage brush below me. As I remember it the tow guy had to change his pants, But it's all good.;)