BlackRV7

Well Known Member
Paul has tweaked my interest in converting his 430 to weather after using the 396 with XM weather. Anyone care to comment on how the weather is on their 430, size of screen, details, cost, where one can go to look it up. If you wanted a handheld GPS anyway in your cockpit, would you simply go 396 sans 430 or would you go 430 weather and keep on using your (mine) Lowrance Airmap100.

Comments (I sound like my old college professors........comments anyone:)

BlackRV7 said:
Paul has tweaked my interest in converting his 430 to weather after using the 396 with XM weather. Anyone care to comment on how the weather is on their 430, size of screen, details, cost, where one can go to look it up. If you wanted a handheld GPS anyway in your cockpit, would you simply go 396 sans 430 or would you go 430 weather and keep on using your (mine) Lowrance Airmap100.

No specifics here,

But I remember comments from a Garmin rep,

The 430 has much less memory capability, far less resolution, and less colors than the 396. Would look very blocky in comparison.

Personally, I left a radio stack slot for the 430, but after seeing my Garmin 296, I bagged the idea altogether. The 430 visuals look too outdated in comparison.

L.Adamson

Well, to put XM on a 430 you're going to need a GDL69 which has an MSRP of $4995, or if you also want the XM audio you're looking at $5775.

The 430, although an incredibly useful device, is ancient in technology terms. The screen is old and resolution is not so great. XM weather on the 430 is a complete hack as XM weather did not exist when the 430 was designed/manufactured.

I personally went with a GX50 (for IFR capability) that a friend pulled from his Bonanza and will buy a 396/496 the week before I fly. The value of having a self-contained battery powered backup GPS is very appealing.

Hey Jamie,

My old GX-50 GPS/comm died a few months back (might have had something to do with me accidentally filling it with water :eek: ), so I'm planning to replace it with a 396 or 496. I'm going to modify the panel, incorporating one of AirGizmo's new tilt mounts (pic below). My existing MX-20 MFD coupled to this should give me many combinations of screens to choose from, XM weather (if I ever decide to buy it) and is less money than a replacement panel mounted GPS/comm (I already have another radio).

empty4.jpg
photo courtesy www.airgizmos.com
Then I'll finish the interior <g>.

b,
d

After using the 396 on my way back form Florida again today, I can;t imagine looking at all that great weather information on the 430's dinky little display. I remember when the 430's first appeared, and we were all amazed at the size of the screen, and the map capability. Pretty pathetic now....that's why I am going to go with the GRT XM receiver and display the weather right on my EFIS (as Kahuna showed us last week).

Unfortunately, when I called GRT to order the box, they told me that it will be a couple of months wait, because they are doing some design tweaks before additional production....at least I got my name on the waiting list!

Paul