Dave12

Well Known Member
I am curious if the new fuel tanks are still being shipped with the sight gauge holes in the side and a aluminum cover or have they done away with the holes completely? It appears the ethanol has gotten to my tank after 300 hours and I am looking at building a new one. It looks like the leaking is occurring in the area of the window. I am #336 and it should have the upgraded plastic window, but who knows at this point?:mad:

Keep us advised!

Dave Ive been thinking of building a new tank also with all the new mods. However at this time my tank is in good working order so Ill probably wait till next fall just in case another mod comes out. ;)Keep us advised on what the total costs are for all the parts.

Looking at the new section 37 drawings (19 Dec 2013 rev date), it appears the T-1201-1 Main Tank Skin no longer has the sight gauge holes. All references to the sight gauge installation have been deleted. I thought about building a new tank also, parts total looks to be $297 without the vent kit ($54). I am building EAB so I built the tank with an aluminum plate covering the sight gauge holes from the start. If I had to remove it and all the sight gauge proseal through the tank sender opening, I think I would just build a new tank instead.

So far I have about 1.5 hours in prep time to get the tank open, rivets drilled out, and proseal removed on the inside. Scraping the proseal is no fun, especially around the fuel outlet area. Just waiting on the bracket mod kit to show up from Van's to complete. I am adding the vent mod also.

John Salak
RV-12 #120116

Thanks John and John, I got a price yesterday from Van's and it works out to $413.50 for the tank and $54.00 for the vent kit. This price does not include the fuel sender or the filler neck. It does include the Moeller Fuel Gauge and Pro Seal. It appears that we are not too far from having unleaded 100 fuels so maybe this is the last tank I will have to build for awhile.:confused:

Van's does sell a kit with the parts to close the window in and install the Moeller fuel gauge. Just curious how many out in -12ville have had to deal with this plastic window starting to leak? Has anyone seen their pro-seal soften with the use of ethanol fuel? After looking at my tank more closely, it appears to be just the area around the window that is leaking.

Van's does sell a kit with the parts to close the window in and install the Moeller fuel gauge. Just curious how many out in -12ville have had to deal with this plastic window starting to leak? Has anyone seen their pro-seal soften with the use of ethanol fuel? After looking at my tank more closely, it appears to be just the area around the window that is leaking.

I can't readily find it, but another -12 driver posted yesterday or the day before, that he was having leaking around the sight glass! (or maybe that was Dave 12 that posted that before? :rolleyes:)

Thanks John and John, I got a price yesterday from Van's and it works out to $413.50 for the tank and $54.00 for the vent kit. This price does not include the fuel sender or the filler neck. It does include the Moeller Fuel Gauge and Pro Seal. It appears that we are not too far from having unleaded 100 fuels so maybe this is the last tank I will have to build for awhile. :confused:

Was the price based upon a kit or a list of the parts in the tank build? I have a pre-built tank with the Moeller Fuel Gauge and latest window. I guess I'm trying to figure out what it would take to build from scratch in terms of the parts. Maybe it would be easier to just go that way. However, I did not stay at a Holiday Inn, nor do I have any experience at this process...

Thanks,

Bob

Was the price based upon a kit or a list of the parts in the tank build? I have a pre-built tank with the Moeller Fuel Gauge and latest window. I guess I'm trying to figure out what it would take to build from scratch in terms of the parts. Maybe it would be easier to just go that way. However, I did not stay at a Holiday Inn, nor do I have any experience at this process...

Thanks,

Bob

I am pretty sure it was based on a sub-kit price with the sender and neck deleted. Try LaQuinta!