ron sterba

Well Known Member
I had the pleasure of playing with one of the new Skyview 10" HDX EFIS at the Northwest premier Aviation show in Puyallup Washington held every February. This a great show! Well what I really liked about the new Dynon Skyview HDX was the new large 3" square transponder code box. This is a little larger that if you pushed the info box for a airport. It makes it so easy to see the numbers to push to enter a code, plus big 3/4" square blocks indicating, (same features) of the lower task bar on the older Skyview. Example, screen,split,PFD,transponder,ems,,,,,,,.These BIG BLOCKBUTTONS make it so easy to select while in flight. Here's the stone wall I walked into. I have a 10" Skyview Touch (which I paid $900 to upgrade to touch last year) and a 7" Skyview. You just CAN NOT BUY A 10" HDX and use your other 7" Skyview. You have to buy TWO HDXs then sell your other two Skyviews. YES the Sub-Ds all are interchangeable and that's a good thing. Now the 10" touch Skyview display has six mounting holes for the bezel,only two are reused for the HDX and two new platenuts or holes will have to be added. ( only 4 mounting positions) I asked if I could upgrade the software and just keep my 10" touch. NOPE was the answer. Now seeing that new development from Dynon in the HDX, my feeling is that a SAFETY CONCERN was addressed in the LARGER touch BOXES and that's a great thing. One doesn't have to raise his/her bifocal glasses on their face to focus on the small numbers of the task line of the touch. Yes love the new software changes and wouldn't mind having them but I can't say I would buy the HDX to get the software. My example is my IPad mini. I get software updates and the pad stays the same. For you new buyers definitely spend the few x bucks for the HDX,( remember you have to buy two HDX if you want two displays). This is my feeling,that anytime you can enhance SAFETY IN software it should take precedence and up gradeable to ALL. I believe if a pilot can elimate a STEP in a procedure it should be shared with all from the company. Similar to Dougs pages here by builders. I may have the same engine but my brakes might get upgraded to new and better. But as Mr. Klienholz said we listen at Dynon.

Ron in Oregon RV9A

Last edited: