LAMPSguy

Well Known Member
OK, OK...I made this myself, but when I am on duty and the aircraft are all flying (rarity that they all work) why not let my mind wander a little...I got thinking about the twin mustang...the P-82, so I though "I could do that with an RV8...so here is my dream.

rv8xka8.th.jpg

Sticking the hulls together is the easy bit. Getting each occupant to agree on engine, kit and paint is the real challenge. :D

Interesting

This would be a truly unique proof of concept aircraft for Van's! I mean, I'm sure it can be done. If I had the funding, I'd certainly give it a try!

Not for me

Two canopies.
Two cowls.
Two sets of engine baffles.

And when you get all that done you've only finished one airplane!:(

Cool to look at though.

Mark

I want to fly, no I want to fly, let's go here, not let's go there, I built half, I built the better half...........:eek: I agree, two canopies, two cowls, two sets of baffles and one airplane. Looks way too cool though.

I was gonna suggest that -6s were used instead but then I envisioned the tipup vs. slider war embodied in a single airframe...

POC

This was little more than a fun way to expend some mental energy...I have only started dreaming of building an RV...I am deep in the "productive" years of a Navy career...so time is at a premium. I am lucky that all your tax dollars pay for my flying habit:D and am very proud to be doing it too!

Definately a much more safe way to fly form!!! Although when we do it (I am a helo pilot) we have some moving parts that tend to make you want to fly a little further apart.

RV-66

Mel, didn't you already do this?

;) CJ
Mine was an RV-66. It's a side-by-side-by-side-by-side 4 seater where no one has to sit in the back. I showed it to Van back in 1995 and he just rolled his eyes and said, "Don't be showing that around!"

One side glass, the other side steam?
Hey who's got the trim?
What are you showing for power?
In case the intercom fails, we've got to work out some hand signals!

...it's going to be pretty awkward to land when you have nosegear on one side and a little wheel under the tail on the other...

What?

Do you consider this a 4 place side by side?

Are we flying formation, with no option to peel off?

Could you hand me that chart please....

I think its cool, I am just teasing above, but...

It better have a good intercom, and a well designed fuel system.:rolleyes:

Looks like fun!

are there any pictures out there of the rv-66 and also what is the current status of both? Still flying?
david

NOT real!

David,
The RV-66, like the others here, is a computer generated airplane. It is NOT real. I don't do pictures on the forum, but I have sent a pic of the RV-66 to you by e-mail. You are welcome to put it up here if you like.

HAHAHA man do i feel dumb now, just glancing at the "RV-52" looked pretty real to me, after you said it wasnt real went back and just laughed at my stupidity.
david

Short on Horizontal

I think you need more pitch control power. Most likely will need the horizontal outboard of the fuselages as well.

The takeoff was going so well.

After the crash on takeoff, one pilot asked the other what happened. The second pilot responded " I don't know. Mine was running rough so I aborted.":D

It's an old joke about two P-51 pilots assigned to fly a B-25 but it seems to fit.

Nice work. Keep the ideas coming.

What about the F-82?

I'm surprised no one in this thread has yet to mention the F-82. It was based on two P-51 Mustangs mated side to side. Anybody with F-82 flying experience out there?

My suspicion is that whatever was gained by joining two P-51's compromised some of the positive attributes of the single place P-51. But the sound of two Rolls Royce Merlin engines on a high speed pass must have been something to remember!

Don

A slight mod

could be to just use one chopped cockpit and put it between the two engines. Add some outboard tail surface. You could call it the RV81 Forked Tail Devil.

Wing Derringer?

You know, a -7 Fuse with two IO-360's wouldn't be too bad of an airplane.

Does anybody remember the Wing Derringer(sp?)?

I think that would just about be the same airplane, but it would be an RV and therefore better. I rather doubt you would get twice the bang for the buck. . . but probably not a bad machine.

http://www.airstuff.com/PPJune79.html

even better pictures found.

http://www.aerofiles.com/wing.jpg

Oh yea, and two IO-320's at 230 mph. . . I wonder how the RV wing would do with an engine out and maybe a -10 vertical and horizontal. . . hmmm

How much is the lottery tonight?

Last edited:
Turns out, after a Google search, this topic was beat up pretty good last year on this forum. . . sorry for redundancy. . . but this IS a thread about twins. . .:D

I'm surprised no one in this thread has yet to mention the F-82...

OK, OK...I made this myself, but when I am on duty and the aircraft are all flying (rarity that they all work) why not let my mind wander a little...I got thinking about the twin mustang...the P-82...
The P-82 was mentioned in the first post. The aircraft changed designations along the way.

The First "RV-8"

...was two RV-4 fuselages joined together in this configuration. The concept was that you could buy a Piper Apache junker, use the engines, feathering props, and retractable gear. Supposedly it generated interest among those who didn't realize that the issue of the RVator announcing this plane was the April issue. And Van's supposedly spent a lot of time explaining to folks that it wasn't a real plane...

Still, the RV-66, tailwheel/nose, un/primed, all that, makes for some good stories.

Ed Wischmeyer
RV-4 long since sold, soon be looking for an F-1 or an RV-8

history lesson

The F-82 twin Mustang was built from two P-51H models. The H and the D, the most famous of the 51 variants, are two very different aircraft. Compare pictures and you will see the difference. The pilot sat in the left fuselage, the copilot in the right. Col. Bob Thacker flew an F-82 from Hawaii to Los Angeles non stop setting a speed record. I have met Col. Thacker many times and he is full of stories and has a great sense of humor.

The Wing Derringer was designed as a two place twin. Originally powered by two 150 HP Lycomings, it was way underpowered. Reengined to 180 HP proved to be the perfect setup. The aircraft skins were machined by chemical etch, a process that was ahead of its time, so that stretched skins were of a uniform thickness. The Derringer could not find a niche in GA and with only a dozen aircraft flying, Wing Aircraft went out of business. A new owner of the Type Certificate tried, but has apparently failed to revive the Derringer as a four place aircraft.

Dave Nellis

Hawaii to New York non stop!

Actually the F-82 was NOT 2 P-51s put together. It was a totally new design. Many of the features were very similar, but the dimensions were quite different.
F-82B "BettyJo" was flown non stop from Hawaii to New York in 1947. Over 5,000 miles. Betty Jo is in the Air Force Museum.
The F-82 was faster, carried more armament, and had more range than the P-51. It's biggest problem was timing. It was near the end of the war and the jets were coming.

Make it tail dragger, left pedal in the left fuse and right pedal in right fuse and sure it will very fun to fly and taxi.

Don't need an intercom

My buddy Steve came up with a drawing 10 years ago for a twin RV-3 design. He intentionally did NOT want to have an intercom in it. He figures he didn't want to talk to the other person. Ha-ha!

RV-38

Lots of people have day dreamed about the F-82 ish RV. How about an "RV-38?" Two fuslage/booms with a RV pod between them. I'm not sure what RV fuse would look right though, either for the booms or the cockpit.

Without cockpits in the booms, there would be lots of room for baggage and fuel! And the added payload would be right over the cg.