The time for the -7 QB is down two months! :) Fortunitely the Empennage's are still in stock... I hope to get mine before the end of the year... maybe. Check was in the mail as of yesterday.

I often wondered how you could get a QB kit faster than a slow build. Maybe they have some already completed sitting in the Philippines, but I doubt it.

As I understand it, QB kits are always being built, whether there are orders or not. I think they're on a two month cycle of sending the kits over, and getting the QB parts back.

It's certainly possible that Van could have a QB in stock in Oregon when you order it. That was the case with the QB retrofit RV-3B wing I ordered a few years ago. It all depends on how many orders they've received. I heard of folks that ordered their -8 QB kits in July, and are just now starting to receive them. On the other hand, I ordered mine in November, and will get it the first of Jan. There just happened to be a batch on the way back from the Philippines, and not all of them were sold yet.

As for general lead times, I was told that the time they post is what they consider worst case. They usually hope to do better.