java

Well Known Member
I'll save the full story for a later post, but suffice to say that after many years of dreaming, planning, saving, building, selling (divorce and move), dreaming, planning, saving again, searching, buying, importing... I am now the proud owner of a very nice RV6 based at CYBW Springbank airport in Calgary, Canada. There have been many roadblocks over that time, and it would have been very easy to just throw in the towel. I recall a lesson from an old football coach of mine, "Bend if you have to, but never break."

I like to look forward, so enough of my challenges.

Now that I have a flying RV, I'd love to hook up with other local RV owners/flyers. I'm relatively confident in my airframe knowledge (I built most of an RV7 airframe) but I'm short on firewall forward knowledge, and that seems to be where the most ownership attention is required.

I'll be more active in the forums now, and look forward to continuing the journey.

Here is my Baby:

CGZOKArrival

VERY NICE!!!

Big congrats with your new plane! Looks real good and a very nice paint scheme!

Must be great having this nice plane after all the struggles to get there!

Best of luck with it!

NICE JOB!

I especially like the paint job.

I've been to Calgary a bunch of times & loved it.

Enjoy your new toy.

Barry

That is one of the prettiest airplanes I have ever seen

You can get a lot of knowledge of firewall forward by looking at and studying what you have in your airplane. I can't imagine any two RV-6 fuel systems being identical. It is educational to see how the builder configured the fuel valve, the lines the filters and/or gascolator, pumps, priming system, etc. If you did not get wiring diagrams or schematics you can at least look at the hardware and make up a block diagram of your system with as much detail as you can find. I built my RV-6A with 4 individually selectable and vented fuel tanks, electric solenoid priming of three cylinders, manifold pressure taken from the other, all four cylinders with probes for CHT and EGT, 60 Amp alternator, light weight starter, LASAR ignition, master and starter relays, fine wire plugs, fuel filters for each tank, no gascolator, blended airfoil constant speed prop, etc. You get the idea. Just the process of trying to draw a diagram of what you have will help open your mind to the system you have.

Even though I developed my own propulsion package my knowledge is limited to the components as "off the shelf" pieces of hardware and intuition. There are schools available and I have signed up for the Lycoming theory and disassembly/assembly classes in April. Your idea of meeting with other owners in your area is a great way to get information verbally and by looking at their systems and comparing them with yours.

Good luck with your new airplane.

Bob Axsom

Great news.

Hey Java, nice to hear things are working out great for you. Enjoy your new plane. A friend of mine in Saskatoon just bought a flying rv6 too (his came from BC). See you at osh this year in rv parking area? :D

Osh bound?

Hey Java, nice to hear things are working out great for you. Enjoy your new plane. A friend of mine in Saskatoon just bought a flying rv6 too (his came from BC). See you at osh this year in rv parking area? :D

...I wouldn't bet against it Rick!

Looks like you are based in Springbank alright because the photo is taken in front of my old hangar! I'm just down Delta to the south with the lemon and lime Subie 6A. RV guru Ralph Inkster is just a couple hangars north on Delta. Hope to see you around soon.

Nice colors!

Congrats on the -6!

Looks gorgeous!
Congrats on your new Rv-6. Just goes to show that if you work towards a goal long enough, it will be realized.
Wishing you many years of fun.
Come down to the Oliver BC (CAU3) Fly-in Breakfast this summer (and all others that read this!!!)
Tentative date is Saturday August 13th. Hope to see you there.
Video from last year's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMzaPpGF7mY

Fly safe.

I love the painted canopy and the pseudo rear-window effect.

But that might just be my biased RV-10 eye too. :)

That plane looks great!

Nice Ride

Hey JV, nice looking ride you have there. I am sure you will only grow to love it more as time and hours increase. Maybe we will see you down here in Oregon for this years Vans Flyin / Homecoming. Its a pretty quick flight from Calgary in the RV6 and a good chance to talk to all the fellow RVers that gather there each year. Be safe and again nice plane, congratulations..

Tod

You can get a lot of knowledge of firewall forward by looking at and studying what you have in your airplane. I can't imagine any two RV-6 fuel systems being identical. It is educational to see how the builder configured the fuel valve, the lines the filters and/or gascolator, pumps, priming system, etc. If you did not get wiring diagrams or schematics you can at least look at the hardware and make up a block diagram of your system with as much detail as you can find. I built my RV-6A with 4 individually selectable and vented fuel tanks, electric solenoid priming of three cylinders, manifold pressure taken from the other, all four cylinders with probes for CHT and EGT, 60 Amp alternator, light weight starter, LASAR ignition, master and starter relays, fine wire plugs, fuel filters for each tank, no gascolator, blended airfoil constant speed prop, etc. You get the idea. Just the process of trying to draw a diagram of what you have will help open your mind to the system you have.

Even though I developed my own propulsion package my knowledge is limited to the components as "off the shelf" pieces of hardware and intuition. There are schools available and I have signed up for the Lycoming theory and disassembly/assembly classes in April. Your idea of meeting with other owners in your area is a great way to get information verbally and by looking at their systems and comparing them with yours.

Good luck with your new airplane.

Bob Axsom

Bob, I've ready many of your posts about racing and mods you've made. You're one of the ones who puts the "E" in "EAA". I've been all over my bird, as you suggest, and will keep learning. Thanks also for commenting on how pretty she is! I think so too!

Looks like you are based in Springbank alright because the photo is taken in front of my old hangar! I'm just down Delta to the south with the lemon and lime Subie 6A. RV guru Ralph Inkster is just a couple hangars north on Delta. Hope to see you around soon.

Nice colors!

I'll surely be looking for you (and Ralph) Ross. Seems to be a good gathering of RV's on the field. Tower controllers made a comment about it on my first flight (following the long import approval process) on Xmas eve.

Looks gorgeous!
Congrats on your new Rv-6. Just goes to show that if you work towards a goal long enough, it will be realized.
Wishing you many years of fun.
Come down to the Oliver BC (CAU3) Fly-in Breakfast this summer (and all others that read this!!!)
Tentative date is Saturday August 13th. Hope to see you there.
Video from last year's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMzaPpGF7mY

Fly safe.

Thanks Mike.

Great video! There was a serious shortage of RV's there though (I counted two?) so I'll have to make it and add to the numbers in 2011!;) I need some mountain flying training first. I grew up camping, skiing and hiking in the mountains, but learned to fly out East in the flatlands, so need to get comfortable crossing the rocks now. Make sure you publicize it again when the date gets closer.

I love the painted canopy and the pseudo rear-window effect.

But that might just be my biased RV-10 eye too. :)

That plane looks great!

Thanks Phil. The painted canopy looks and works really well. To be honest, at first I considered at negative. It was done so well though (it blends perfectly into the upper skin just behind the canopy, and the paint job is beautiful... on the canopy and the whole plane) that I warmed to it. Other than being shaded, it is completely unnoticeable when flying. I still have concerns about acro (looking up at the top of a loop) or formation (both of interest, but I need some more time in the plane first). I'll deal with those when I get there.

I never considered the visual similarity to a 10. I don't think anyone will confuse the two though!

Edit: Just for the record, a big plus of the painted canopy is that shade comes with no loss of headroom. I sit somewhat tall (6'1") and it helps in this area, especially in a 6 (vs. a 7, which has a bit more headroom in my experience).

Last edited:
Hey JV, nice looking ride you have there. I am sure you will only grow to love it more as time and hours increase. Maybe we will see you down here in Oregon for this years Vans Flyin / Homecoming. Its a pretty quick flight from Calgary in the RV6 and a good chance to talk to all the fellow RVers that gather there each year. Be safe and again nice plane, congratulations..

Tod

Thanks Tod. I flew with Mike Seagar for transition training in Oregon, and would love to go visit again, especially for homecoming! Hopefully I get some "crossing the mountains" time in learning mode before then!

She's a beauty!

That is one fine looking RV you have there. In response to your concern about firewall forward info I would love to help you in this regard but I'm on another continent right now. As another poster mentioned Ralph Inkster is a treasure trove of RV knowledge and would be worthwhile talking to.
The engine compartment is the one area of the airplane where you do most of the work on the annual inspection and it's good to know the systems and how they are installed and work. Flight controls and fuel systems being the other big areas to inspect. Getting to know your airplane inside and out on your time is a good thing.
Best of luck with the new plane from McMurdo Station Antarctica!!
Phil

No RV's here

Sorry but there are no RV's here. Unless someone makes a set of skis for a RV I doubt you will see one on this continent. A hat sighting would be cool from here if I had one but I don't think anything can top that U2 photo.
Have fun with the plane up there in the frozen North.
Phil

Great video! There was a serious shortage of RV's there though (I counted two?) so I'll have to make it and add to the numbers in 2011!;) I need some mountain flying training first. I grew up camping, skiing and hiking in the mountains, but learned to fly out East in the flatlands, so need to get comfortable crossing the rocks now. Make sure you publicize it again when the date gets closer.
In that case, make plans to attend the COPA Convention in Langley, BC this spring. June 24-26, to coincide with the annual Langley Fly-In which would happen on the 25th normally. There will be lots of RV's to look at. And we're arranging "pathfinders", pilots who are experienced with mountain crossings, to lead the less experienced westbound through the rocks. There should be a pathfinder from Springbank that you can hook up with, stay in touch and i'll let you know when that's all been arranged (closer to the date). It would be a good practise trip before Oliver. After coming to Langley, Oliver will be easy! :)

Oh, and don't worry about formation with the painted canopy... You'll learn to work with it. I have a Koger sunshade that I sometimes close part way, probably as far as your painted shade. It doesn't seem to be a problem. People fly formation in high-wing airplanes too, you just learn what the limitations are and work with them.

Yep. there was one....

Thanks Phil! I don't know for sure, but you probably win the prize for posting from the most Southerly latitude! Any RV's down there? ;)

....a few years back. .an RV-4..flown in by Jon Johannson from Australia!! Built to hold 18 hours worth of fuel!

Best,