Tim 8-A

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I have been lurking around 52F for about 5 years now, Northwest Regional is where I trained.
I currently own a 1/4 share in a Grumman Cheetah and found myself not going cross country because of the speed constraints (117 kts). I spend most of my time just buzzing around here on sunny days.
About a year ago I started to notice all the RV activity we have here at 52F. My A&P fly's a RV 8, so I asked him to take me for a ride, well needless to say to took about hour after the flight for the grin to go away.
I started looking at 4's (in my price range) we have an exceptional one here local for sale. I really wanted. I want to thank Jay for letting me hang around his hanger for hours at a time trying to determine if a 4 would work. The deciding factor was, I was wanting to take passengers, and most of my friends exceed 200 pounds. So I started looking at 8's. I found my 8-A in VA. Its an unfortunate situation why its was for sell, the builder had passed a way.
The airframe is perfect but the avionics fall short, I was able to purchase it at a price where I can upgrade the panel and still be at or below market price. The best news is it has a 53 hour factory new 360 180 lycoming and a new Hartzell C/S prop.
I did spend a great deal of time debating the 8 vs 8-A, and for me and the situation of the purchase it just made sense.
The paint is in great shape and I have already talked to a local painter here on how we can change up the striping,
Dave Austin signed me off yesterday so I going out today to do my first solo, the weather should be perfect.
So thanks to Jay Pratt, Randy Richmond, and Dave Austin I can already tell that the RV community is a great one.
Tim
4032Q013.jpg

4032Q011.jpg

Great

Tim,

Congratulations on getting a nice plane!! I hope you will fly out with the Sunday group some more. I think you made a good choice in the 8.

I have about 150 hours in a 8a and loved it.

My 4 went to Grady yesterday. Hope to have it back in a few weeks. I have not been able to get out of it since I started flying it. My favorite plane for now.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

well needless to say to took about hour after the flight for the grin to go away.

Dave Austin signed me off yesterday so I going out today to do my first solo,
Tim
4032Q013.jpg

Tim, welcome aboard.

Good to have you.

If you think that first grin was something, well, just better get prepared for the one comming today.

Congrats.

8A

Tim,

You wil not regret the decision on the 8A. I have built and flown several hundred hours in both. Once airborne there is no difference. I have found that I fly the 8A a lot more than the 8 because of cross wind concerns with the tail dragger. I have flown the 8A dozens of times that the 8 would have stayed in the hangar. Both great airplanes.

Pat Stewart
RV8A
J3CUB

Tim,

You wil not regret the decision on the 8A. I have built and flown several hundred hours in both. Once airborne there is no difference. I have found that I fly the 8A a lot more than the 8 because of cross wind concerns with the tail dragger. I have flown the 8A dozens of times that the 8 would have stayed in the hangar. Both great airplanes.

Pat Stewart
RV8A
J3CUB

Pat,
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate reading the positive feed back on the 8-A. I have only been up three time so far but I just can't wait for next flight.
Tim