Looking for help and recommendations on where to go for an intro building course. My father and I have decided to build an RV8 and ordered the empennage kit today. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS on classes near the Denver area?

Thanks!

Eric

You will shortly be deluged with helpful suggestions. I will only add that this need for training depends somewhat on your existing familiarity with tools and reading plans and having a "sense" of the material you're working with and what's smart and what's possible. If you're at all nervous, by all means do an EAA or other metal building class, but if you've got experience and confidence you might pick up enough by finding another builder (best if they're build is still in progress so you can see behind the curtain) and spending time in their shop.

You're gonna love this place.

Clay Cook

Welcome!

You've already made a great choice by checking in here. The VAF is filled with knowledgeable and extremely gracious and helpful people.

Best of luck Eric

Welcome to VAF!

Eric, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

First off, you need to join EAA if you havent already done so.

Here is a list of local chapters for you.

Chapter City
IAC 12 Broomfield, CO
EAA 1161 Buena Vista, CO
IAC 5 Colorado Springs, CO
EAA 72 Colorado Springs, CO
EAA 1451 Cortez, CO
EAA 301 Denver, CO
EAA 43 Denver, CO
EAA 997 Durango, CO
EAA 515 Ft. Collins, CO
EAA 1267 Granby, CO
EAA 800 Grand Junction, CO
EAA 1117 Greeley, CO
EAA 648 Longmont, CO
EAA 1373 Montrose, CO
EAA 808 Pueblo, CO

Sorry, the dang links wont stay active when I copy/paste from EAA's site to here, you can google by chapter number/contact "EAA xxx Contact" should work.

Good luck, and again welcome to VAF

Last edited:
Hit the EAA 43 Wednesday lunch at Rocky Mountain Metro. Follow the RV8 crowd down to RV8 row afterwards. Plenty of RV8 eye candy to be seen on KBJC. Treat yourself to Jim's flying and Bobs building -8's. Mine just makes theirs look better...which is why they let me hang around. There are also two -7's being built there. Come say hello.

Welcome to VAF!

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

I appreciate all of the comments. I reached out to our local EAA chapter in Centennial (I live in Highlands Ranch) and hope to make their next meeting.

Bill: Do you guys meet every Wednesday for lunch?

I appreciate all of the comments. I reached out to our local EAA chapter in Centennial (I live in Highlands Ranch) and hope to make their next meeting.

Bill: Do you guys meet every Wednesday for lunch?

Every Wednesday at 11am at Blue Sky Bistro. Typically between 15-20 guys there I suppose...getting there earlier will get you a seat in the middle of the big table which is the best way to meet new guys...everyone is friendly, just say hello. I'm nearly always there, but work sometimes gets in the way....more lately than normal.

I'm a member of EAA 301 and have been to a couple of meetings but typically hang out with the 43 crowd despite it being on the other side of town from me.

Last edited:
Welcome fellow RV8 builder!

Eric I assume from this that you have contacted Chapter 301, but not quite sure from your post. They meet on the Third Friday of every month at the South Suburban Metro Fire District headquarters building - a very nice facility. I am usually in attendance at the meetings and the Young Eagle rallys held each month at KFTG.

Will be glad to share knowledge with you any time. Highly recommend EAA Sport Air workshops, this forum, the EAA website, and fellow builder web sites and builders logs from a variety of different sources, many of which will appear as links in the signature line of the members that post to this forum.

Get ready to be absorbed into the RV world! It is great to have another local RV-8 builder in the ranks.