pastranafan5

This is my first build. I'm buying the 7A. On the options page it talks about fuel sending units. Are there not sending units included in the kit or are you choosing which type you want, and which type do I want? Also, it has a static kit option. Again, are there not static ports included in the kit and do I want that?

So, think of it this way, the less that comes with "the kit", the more opportunity you have to do what you want and the added value of the learning experience. For fuel sending units, you have the "option" to use what Vans considers "standard" resistive senders or capacitive senders. The resistive senders have moving parts with a pot. Capacitive senders have no moving parts. We shouldn't tell you which you want. It is your research opportunity to decide for yourself.
Similar deal for the static ports. Of course you have to have a static system, but the parts consist of a pop rivet (that is the port) and some tubing. You don't have to buy the "kit" from Vans, you might just assemble your own parts or buy something else like the SafeAir kit.

You are just starting on a grand adventure that will change your life if you stick with it! Again, Welcome!

Welcome

Welcome Dennis.

I'm not first but I am building a 7a. I agree with the research. I don't think Vans sells the Capacitive Sending units anymore. You might call before you stress over it too much. They are easy to make if you decide to go that route.
You also need to choose standard fuel pickup or flop tube.
Then there's brakes, tires, etc.
Oh and of course the Primer War!:D

7A Options

Welcome. I'm also building a 7A. Structure is done, finishing landing gear and starting wiring, planning on an engine next summer. More options will include which landing lights, whether you want electric trim or manual and then various options for finishing fiberglass parts and tons of options in the avionics and electrical systems.

One thing about research is there are so many opinions. You'll learn to discern experiential knowledge from theorist. But also sometimes you just want to know what others are doing and its not about research its about what is working. Good Luck

And you might want to find some good construction logs to see what others are doing. I think photos are the best. Try google searches and select images. Here are a couple logs to check out:
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
www.mykitlog.com/thelynns

thank you

Thank you for the replies so far. Keep them coming. One of the options is a float type sending unit. Does anybody know about those?

One of the options is a float type sending unit. Does anybody know about those?

There are thousands of them flying around in RV's-------and other aircraft.

They will not display correct fuel quantity above somewhere in the 2/3 tank area, due to the dihedral of the wing.

I do not know if the capacitance type will read all the way to full.

As far as not having accuracy above 2/3 tank------it is not an issue for me, as I always dip my tanks during preflight, and I rely on the fuel totalizer for my primary fuel monitoring source, and the fuel gauges are a backup to the totalizer.

Thank you for the replies so far. Keep them coming. One of the options is a float type sending unit. Does anybody know about those?
I have the float type in mine and they will hit the top before the tank is all full. So I have calibrated in such way to compensate for that. But I also have fuel flow meter, which is pretty darn accurate, mine is typically off by about .3 Gallon at most. I use both of them fuel flow in conjunction to the float type as redundant to each other.