Dave Yost

I'm New Here
New RV-4 builder in San Diego Ca. checking in!

Received the empennage kit last week. Getting the shop set up, hoping to be drilling the first holes in HS-409 Thanksgiving weekend! :D:D

Any gotcha's right off-the-bat that I need to know about, by all means speak up!

cheers Dave

Well, the good news is I have a small booth at my dad's place and a very nice SATA spray gun and touch-up gun. So I can put the primer on very thin to save weight. I am thinking of using a light gray epoxy primer.

I work with some ex-Navy guys who say it must be Chromate, but I think its been a while since they have been around the stuff and they don't realize there are other options.

I plan on doing the structure and just the area's on the skins where there is metal to metal contact. If I was in Arizona or the high desert, I might skip it all together, but the airplane will most likely end up hangared at Montgomery (KMYF) or Gillespie (KSEE). MYF can be foggy and moist two or three months out of the year.

Dave

I still plan on ordering my RV-4 kit in December as well, and spending the next few months getting my shop ready, and to start building in April.

I predated all posts on the primers topic. Although still confused by it all, it certainly gives you plenty to think about. It might be that Sanchem could be the most promising of all, and adds virtually no weight; nor does it need a topcoat. But one could be added with a slight weight penalty.