Mel

Legacy Member
Mentor
Well I finally dipped deeply into my retirement fund and laid down a bunch of asphalt. Certainly not cheap, but the paving company worked with me. I already had a good "base" and they let me do my own tractor work, so we got the price down to just above reasonable.

Short Stop Airfield now sports 1500' X 20' of new hard surface.

We inaugurated it Saturday with our annual EAA Fly-In/Picnic. We had 14 airplanes and one helicopter. Seven RVs (2-4s, 3-6s, 2-8s). Only nose draggers were a C-172, a PA28-180, a Thorp T-211, and an M20C.

Distance award went to Louise Hose flying "Mikey" up from Houston. (She did let Paul tag along)

Two Thumbs Up for Mel and Ann's new runway!

Louise and I enjoyed visiting yesterday - and I am glad I got to do the take-off and let Louise have the landing.:eek:

Actually, 1500' is just fine for an RV, especially with the clear approaches (although I think I could count the feathers on the chickens at that house on short final.....).

We had a nice tailwind at 9500 for the trip home, and made it in a little more than an hour. Now Mikey is parked for a couple of weeks while Louise goes and handles research on the beaches of the Gulf Coast.

Thanks again Mel and Ann for a wonderful BBQ, good company, and the chance to break in your new runway!

Paul

Sink

I enjoyed Mels new runway too. I think I needed a little more height when I come in there. It occured to me that a car or BOX-truck might be coming buy there at the same time as I was passing over the road on approach.
Mel and Ann are wonderful host, if you missed their picnic try to come next year.

Last edited: