Rainier Lamers

Well Known Member
OK, I am today putting into production our new "CAN-CAN" module. It has the same housing and size as the SP-6 compass and SP-7 AHRS.

This module will be available in several versions. It is primarily intended to act as a bridge between two incompatible CAN networks, but, since there was some extra board space left - it can do more.

The new Rotax 912iS.
This engine has twin fuel injection systems, each using a CAN interface to broadcast all relevant engine data from RPM to fuel flow, EGT, coolant temps and a lot of status information including engine Hobbs time.

The CAN-CAN acts as a bridge between the MGL CAN interface used in Odyssey/Voyager G2, XTreme EFIS as well as the new iEFIS range. It provides isolation and protocol conversion between the two systems. It also provides for fuel tank level sensing as this is not provided with the 912iS engine. The CAN-CAN completely replaces the RDAC for installations using the 912iS engine at low cost.

The CAN-CAN also acts as protocol converter and bridge to interface to Garrecht transponder units (for headless transponder installations using EFIS systems to interact with transponders).

If you want to do both of the above, you need two CAN-CAN interfaces as protocol isolation between the engine and transponder is mandatory.

A further application of this module is to provide two H-bridge drivers for motor control. The drivers can deliver up to 2.5A each at either polarity making them very well suited for bidirectional direct drive of trim and flap motors.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I was wondering if iEFIS would support Rotax via CANaerospace, and the CAN-CAN looks like a nice way of integrating the different protocols (and maybe even more in the future... there are plenty to choose from).

I was wondering if iEFIS would support Rotax via CANaerospace, and the CAN-CAN looks like a nice way of integrating the different protocols (and maybe even more in the future... there are plenty to choose from).

Yes - there is undoubtedly a trend to adopt CAN as we are doing heavily in the iEFIS.
The iEFIS "iBOX" has two CAN interfaces available so theoretically it does not need the "CAN-CAN" in many cases. One of the iBOX CAN interfaces is dedicated to the MGL side (Servos, RDAC engine monitors, AHRS, compass, trim and flap control, MGL ECB connectivity etc).
The other is free for use but I have not decided on how this is to be used. Unfortunately CAN is a dangerous thing to use between different manufacturers when not all of the protocol is published (which is common, for example Rotax only publishes "on a need to know" bases). If different, incompatible items on the bus accept each others messages and identify them as their own (easy to do) then there is trouble...

So, that means effectively, even though the iBOX has a free CAN interface it can only be used for a single purpose safely - for example interface to the new Rotax engine or interface to a transponder (but not both).

I think I will likely force the use of the CAN-CAN even on the iBOX and keep the second CAN interface for special purposes.
The CAN-CAN offers the significant advantage of electrical fault isolation which is very valuable in my opinon and the CAN-CAN is very low cost anyway so it is not much of a factor.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

How is the iefis production coming along? Any new info on the projected debut?

William

Ah - the dreaded question...
Honestly - I can't give a accurate date but it is not far away. Every item that makes up the iEFIS is now in production but we have one or two problems with component supply.
One of our prime electronic component suppliers is currently giving us some grey hair. They "changed their business model" whatever that means and moved their accounting to a new computer system. What a disaster !
Orders lost, orders wrong. Sometimes we get 10 items when we wanted 1000 (and on a component with 6 months lead time). We are still trying to work around these issues - it's close but I don't think we will be able to release before May unless there is a miracle...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Mini Extreme?

Last time I asked I was told the CAN bus functionality on the Mini Extreme was still pending a software update. Has this been added? I haven't seen it on the changelog.

Last time I asked I was told the CAN bus functionality on the Mini Extreme was still pending a software update. Has this been added? I haven't seen it on the changelog.

The CAN bus is hardware. That is part of every XTreme.
Using the CAN bus, much like a RS232 serial port depends on what you are going to use it for - so there is no such thing as a software update and then it can be used for everything that does CAN. CAN is just a method to distribute data. What happens with the data is subject to the actual application.

So, as far as th XTreme is concerned, the CAN bus is currently prepared for several distinct items:
a) The MGL autopilot servos (as part of the XTreme autopilot development).
b) The new MGL RDAC XF engine monitor.
c) The above mentioned CAN-CAN interface to give access to the MGL/Garrecht transponder and the new Rotax 912iS engine.

In addition we have the XTreme EMS which is a dedicated engine monitor - this unit will be upgraded to interface to the Rotax 912iS directly without the need fot the CAN-CAN interface or to the new RDAC XF.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics