N941WR

Legacy Member
I did not like the way the bracket for the Dynon expansion units require three rivets to hold it in place so I designed something a little different.

Check out these pictures:
Drawing
Back of bracket (Test fit)
Installed AP74

The platenut is for a 6-32 screw and I have been told that the location of the retention screw on the AP76 is different than the AP74/HS34. Just keep this in mind, should you fabricate one of these brackets.

Note: The AP74 pictured above was a dummy unit provided for test fitting purposes only. The production unit will have side plates and will be available labeled for either vertical or horizontal mounting.

Bill
(Pictures and comments released with permission from Dynon. Do not ask me any questions regarding the Dynon autopilot as I am not at liberty to provide any information. For more information, see the Dynon support forum.)

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

Nice Job. The HS-34 bracket (especially when mounted vertically) is really not very good. Nice unit, but it's a poorly designed mount. Good job on an alternative.

Cheers,
Stein

Stein,

Take note of the length of the bracket. It is designed to extend past both ends of the HS34/AP74. Otherwise the ends of the bracket can fall into the "hole" and allow the unit to slip out of the panel.

Last edited:
HS34 bracket is just fine for me

Reading this thread, I thought I might have some difficulty with Dynon's provided bracket for the HS34. I almost went Bill's route, but decided to give Dynon's bracket a try.

I followed the dimensions for the placement of the bracket to a "T", drilled and riveted the bracket (left the bracket bent as shipped). Could not have been easier. It works like a charm.

It is a strange design, where the HS34 is first inserted at an angle into the panel. As you tighten the screw, the top of the HS34 contacts the panel first, then you continue until the bottom of HS34 touches the panel. Nice and solid. Somewhat counter-intuitive. I thought it was clever though.

Bills' idea has merits too, but don't shy away from using Dynon's approach. For me it worked, and am pleased with the result.

Just (another) opinion.... my $.02

Bill,

In your design, it looks like the bracket sandwiches the AP-74 to the panel, and the bracket is not otherwise attached to the panel back. Looks sturdy, but I was wondering about removal of the unit after the panel is in place, i.e. if I had to remove the unit would the bracket fall off the back? My layout is similar to yours, in that the AP-74 will be lower and horizontal, the only panel items below it being some switches. Therefore, this might not be an issue, as perhaps I could just reach around under the panel and hold the bracket while removing or reinstalling. Have you played with this R&R process with the panel in, and found it to be no big deal?

Just wrestling with the best install method, as my panel will go back in before the AP-74 is shipped, and I want to do this the best way possible.

BTW, neat idea, and pretty cool of Dynon to send you the dummy unit to play with! Nice folks!

Cheers,

Bob Mills
"Rocket" RV-6
N600SS
4SD

... but I was wondering about removal of the unit after the panel is in place, i.e. if I had to remove the unit would the bracket fall off the back? My layout is similar to yours, in that the AP-74 will be lower and horizontal, the only panel items below it being some switches. Therefore, this might not be an issue, as perhaps I could just reach around under the panel and hold the bracket while removing or reinstalling. Have you played with this R&R process with the panel in, and found it to be no big deal?

BTW, neat idea, and pretty cool of Dynon to send you the dummy unit to play with! Nice folks!
Bob,

My RV has been flying for a year now and when Dynon sent me the AP74 I didn't want to drill holes in the panel for the rivets because that would mean I would have to refinish the panel to hide the rivets. Those of you who are still building won't find this to be an issue.

You are correct, you will want to hold that bracket while installing or removing it to keep it from falling on your bus bar/switches and it is no big deal to do. The bracket works great and as I said, I don't have any rivets showing.

As for doing R&R with the panel installed, the panel was installed when I cut the hole for the AP74 and installed the unit. (I'm the Rv-9 beta tester for the autopilot, that's why they were kind enough to send me the AP74. Don't ask me any questions about the autopilot as I can't answer them, Dynon will be more than happy to answer all your questions. I will go as far to say this, it is a really nice autopilot and it will make their customers very happy.)

(I'm the Rv-9 beta tester for the autopilot, that's why they were kind enough to send me the AP74. Don't ask me any questions about the autopilot as I can't answer them, Dynon will be more than happy to answer all your questions. I will go as far to say this, it is a really nice autopilot and it will make their customers very happy.)

Lucky you! Please find all the bugs before I get mine! :D

One other thing

Dynon has said the AP74 and AP76 have their retention screws in different places. Thus, if you rivet on the bracket to hold the AP74 and then elect to upgrade to the AP76 later, you will have to drill out the rivets and install the correct bracket.

With the bracket I've designed, you can just remove it and install a new 6-32 plate nut in the correct position.

Thanks Bill!

Bill,

Thanks for the PIREP, glad to hear you're pleased with the Dynon AP. Roger the no questions request (fully understand), and concur with Brian...lucky you, and good on ya for testing it!

Still wrestling a bit with the bracket choice. My plan is for the D100, D10A and AP-74 to be in a bit of a cluster, as in the partial pic below. Do you see any potential for conflict between your bracket and the flush mount brackets for the 100 and 10A with this layout?

n600sspanelnewconceptcrkh0.jpg

Thanks much for the reply and the great info!

Cheers,

Bob Mills
"Rocket" RV-6
N600SS
4SD

Bob,

My bracket should work fine in that layout. It snuggles right next to the expansion unit and extends just a little beyond it.

Bob,

My bracket should work fine in that layout. It snuggles right next to the expansion unit and extends just a little beyond it.

Bill,

Thanks very much! I also just shot you back a reply to your e-mail...thanks very much for writing!!

Cheers,
Bob