Jeff R

Well Known Member
I am looking for an engine for my RV-9A. I was leaning towards a new IO-360 (let?s refrain from debating the wisdom of that selection here, with me saying that I was also thinking of low compression cylinders which would bring the HP down to just 170, only a tad more than the recommended maximum of 160). I already have the boost pump, and the finishing kit from Van?s for this engine combination is due to be packed next week for shipment.

Well, I talked to a reputable engine guy at Sun n Fun, and I also found a reputable individual, who are both offering -320?s. The engine shop can build up a zero timed IO-320 from a used core, (or build up a totally new IO-360) and the individual has a 40 year old O-320, over 3,000 hours total, a bit over 700 hours since OH, and a recent annual. The engine is airworthy, currently certified with all ADs complied with, and is available for about $9,500 (it came off a plane that suffered some fuse damage, but had no prop strike damage to the engine). If I got that engine, I would prefer to have it sent to an engine shop to be upgraded to FI, and to have one magneto replaced with an Emag before I install it. I don?t know what that upgrade would cost though I presume that some part of the cost could be offset by being able to sell the carb.

Given that a new engine will run around $22K, and if I assume the upgrades to the used engine will bring the cost around $12K (to keep the numbers round), the delta would be on the order of $10K, maybe a bit less. I really don?t know yet what the price of a rebuilt IO-320 will be, but certainly closer $20K than $12K.
I am struggling with which way to go. I know of some of the horror stories with used engines, but I am pretty confident that this used engine is a good one, and I like the idea of installing a nice, used engine that has a proven record and is well broken in. I am also confident in a rebuilt IO-320. I know I will have to pay for an OH with the used engine sooner than with a new or zero timed engine, but since I am also having to shell out some big buck now for the finishing kit and instruments, I don?t mind deferring some costs into the future.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Same place you are

Hey Jeff
I am not far from your build point. I have talked to lots of builders who are now flying. I believe every single one that used a used engine, old, newer, rebuilt blah blah, wishes now they had spent the bit extra and gone new. When all was said and done it usually costs pretty close to the same over a few years. As an example the vans deal gets you the fi new lyco for under 20k shipping in. The guys with big hours and way more knowledge than me have all suggested i put the money into the engine, cut back on glass or frills. Just my 02 worth. Used is always a **** shoot. Maybe a great deal, or maybe a real tired dog....its your baby, give it the best ticker you can get.

If you are not going to buy insurance the following is N/A.

Call an agent and find out what happens when you install an engine larger than the max specified by Vans. :cool:

If you are not going to buy insurance the following is N/A.

Call an agent and find out what happens when you install an engine larger than the max specified by Vans. :cool:

There is no difference in insurance if the plane is issued an air worthness cert. I had a -9A with an 0-360 pushing 220HP @ 2,700. Insurance was the same (based on hull value) as a -9 with an 0-320.

Yes, the extra HP was totally cool.:eek:

Last edited:
Similar situation

I've got the end of the sheet metal work in site on my RV6a and am starting the search for a suitable and safe engine.

There is an organization in the area that converts 150 and 160 hp aircraft to 180 hp.

They have 60+ used 0-320's on pallets, most of which are 1/2 to 3/4 to TBO.

They are complete with mags, carb, logbooks etc.

They guarantee the engine with a return for another engine/component if problems arise.

Prices seem to be $3K to $5K.

I have an A&P friend who said we could take it apart to inspect parts for serviceability, the re assemble with all serviceable parts.

Any advice on what to look for in a used engine?

Is fuel injection worth the extra money in fuel savings?

Will electronic ignition improve engine performance and fuel economy?

Any info you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Barry Fogerty

As an update to my original post, I ended up taking advantage of the Van's engine/prop special and ordered the experimental IO-320. I located what seemed like a nice, mid-time used carburated engine, but by the time I added in fuel injection and factored the time until OH, the price differential was not all that great. It was still a huge chunk of change to plop down, but oh well.

I don't believe you can get into a overhauled O-360 with accessories for $ 12,000

cary